Preparing for the Call:
- Set aside time in the early evening to call. (Please note any time differences if you are calling students in a different time zone.)
- Make note of the major to which the student was admitted and whether or not they are a legacy student. (This information is included on your call sheet.)
What to Do During the Call:
- Make notes of your conversations with the prospective students you reach.
- If a student is not home, talk to the parent or guardian who answers the phone, inform them who you are and why you are calling. They may have questions of their own.
- Always leave your name, number, and a good time to call you back.
Things to Keep in Mind When Calling:
- Please call as many students as you can within the first two weeks of receiving your list.
- All of your students have been accepted to SCU and have already been informed of that.
- Students must confirm their enrollment intention and send in a $400 deposit by May 1, 2015.
- You may reach students who have already decided to attend another institution. We realize Santa Clara University is not for everyone, so please wish these students success and congratulate them on their choice. If students tell you where they plan to enroll next year, let them know to inform the SCU Admissions Office of their decision.
- Be prepared to have some incorrect phone numbers. While we do our best to have correct data for these students, there will be errors. Please share any corrected information with us so we may update their records.
- Most importantly, be upbeat, positive, and encouraging to the students. They want to know how you enjoyed your time at Santa Clara University. Your personal experiences can help them better understand what SCU has to offer.
Tips for Calling:
Building a relationship with someone over the phone is far from easy. In many case, students may have questions but have not been expecting your call. If you make “small talk” with the student for a few minutes, they may become more comfortable, open up, and think of questions.
- Congratulate them! Be sure to congratulate these students on being admitted to Santa Clara University’s Class of 2019.
- Take the lead in the conversation. Ask open-ended questions because “yes/no” questions tend to result in brief conversations.
- - Have you ever visited the SCU campus?
- - How did you become interested in Santa Clara?
- - What are you interested in studying?
- Create a dialogue. Ask about a student’s current activities and how they spend time outside the classroom. Offer suggestions as to how the student may continue those activities while at SCU.
- Invite students to participate in Preview Days on April 11th and 12th. For more information about Preview Days and other admitted student events, please visit www.scu.edu/admitted.
- Do not speak negatively about any other school.
- Do not attempt to answer Financial Aid questions. If a student or their parents wish to inquire about Financial Aid, they may call 408-554-4505 or email email@example.com.
What to Do After the Call:
- Once you have completed your contact, please select the "Completed" option on the online call sheet. You will need to mark each assigned student as "Completed" for the system to recognize you are fully completion of tasks.
If you have additional questions or require extra support, please email Taylor Thorn '08 or call the Alumni Office at 408-554-6800.