Why does the Bookstore need my textbook requests so early?
- In order for the University to comply with the Federal HEOA mandate, the University is required to make available to students at the time of course registration the list of all required materials and their cost. We can comply with posting this information on the Bookstore web site only if all professors have communicated their textbook selections a minimum of one week before registration begins.
- To allow time to research your book's publisher, ISBN, and availability
- To determine if your book is out-of-stock, out of print, or if there is a new edition
- To locate and purchase used copies on campus and around the country and/or order new books from the publishers
These steps take time, plus some new book orders can take weeks to come in.
How can early textbook requests save students money?
- The Bookstore can buy used copies from students on campus and pay them up to 50% of the purchase price
- The Bookstore can locate additional used copies on the national used book market before other institutions buy them
- Next term's students can buy these used books for 25% less than the cost of a new book.
Working together we can help make sure students are ready for the first day of class. Your bookstore team is always here to help. Stop by our store, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 408-554-4356.
How do I submit a textbook request?
What are the benefits of submitting my textbook requests online?
- Online by clicking here
- Fax 408-554-7872
- Call 408-554-4356
- Stop by the store and ask for Clint Stroud or Michael Cortez
- Or we'll come to your office at a time convenient for you
- Available 24/7
- In addition to saving time you'll have access to:
- Lists of books used, by course, for the last two years
- A one-click process for requesting books used in previous terms
- A searchable database of more than 250,000 textbook titles
- Drop down boxes for faster entries
- Email confirmation that your request was received
- A link to the Faculty Center Network free online resource
to get started. Note: If you haven't already registered on the site, you will need to register first.
Textbook Rental Program
How are books chosen for the Textbook Rental Program?
- Edition status
- Re-use rate of the book on campus and across the company
- Single vs. multi-use (Single use i.e. online components, access codes, study guides, etc.)
Your Textbook Manager, Clint Stroud, can work with the administration and faculty to select titles for rent.
How can faculty support textbook rentals at Santa Clara University?
- Let your students know the bookstore offers rentals
- Use books that don't require online access codes or single use components
- If your book is not included on the rental list, commit to using it for a minimum of 4 terms and it can be added
- Submit adoptions by the posted due dates
Why do all coursepacks need to be ordered through the Campus Bookstore?
To maintain SCU's compliance with HEOA regulations, the Campus Bookstore needs to be notified of all required course materials so that they can post this information on the textbook information site attached to the class registration process. A faculty member may initiate the development of a coursepack directly with Xanedu which will notify the Campus Bookstore to post the appropriate information. If a faculty member develops a coursepack with University Readers, they should notify Clint Stroud in the Campus Bookstore so that the appropriate information can be added to the textbook information site.
Per University policy, faculty members may not create coursepacks to sell directly to students themselves or through their departments.
How do I get started when creating a coursepack?
Faculty creating coursepacks can get started by contacting Clint Stroud at (408) 554-4041, email@example.com or if working with Xanedu, contact Xanedu Campus Rep Justin Navarro at (415) 744-4292, firstname.lastname@example.org. If working with a company other than Xanedu, make sure to also provide coursepack information to the Campus Bookstore so that it can be posted for our students.