Rico Mok Named 2015 Outstanding Student Entrepreneur
Congratulations to 2015 Outstanding Student Entrepreneur Rico Mok! This honor is awarded annually by the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to a graduating student enrolled in the Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Program in recognition of significant achievements in the program and acknowledgment of accomplishments in entrepreneurship. Rico will receive the honor at the Leavey School of Business Senior Awards Ceremony on Friday, June 12, with a presentation by John Toppel.
CAPE 2015 Application Deadline is May 31!
Applications for the 2015 Cohort of the California Program for Entrepreneurship will be accepted through May 31.
This free program, now in our sixth year, provides educational tools and mentoring to area entrepreneurs interested in starting or growing a California-based business. New for 2015: an adjusted schedule of 7 weekends to better fit busy schedules!
Please feel free to share with colleagues and friends you feel may benefit from this exciting program.
For more information, visit CAPE on the CIE website.
Congratulations 2014 CAPE Cohort!
The CIE congratulated the 2014 CAPE Cohort of 46 entrepreneurs representing 34 ventures on their successful completion of the program. The event celebrated five years of CAPE, with members in attendance from each of the five years. The keynote speaker was Phil Holland, founder of My Own Business, Inc. During CAPE's first five years of 2010-2014, the CIE has:
- Received and processed more than 1,200 applications
- Accepted 216
- Enrolled 163
- Congratulated a grand total of 141 entrepreneurs on completion of the program for a total of 117 ventures
CIE Holds First Annual Business Plan Pitch Competition
Congratulations to the winners of the first annual CIE Business Plan Pitch Competition held Monday, May 4, in the Forbes Family Conference Center, Lucas Hall 126. Six finalists were selected from an applicant pool of 31 venture teams, and included undergraduate and graduate students from the Leavey School of Business, the School of Engineering and the College of Arts & Sciences.
Competing teams each pitched a 10-minute presentation to a full house followed by a 5-minute Q&A from our panel of judges including:
- Steve Foster, Managing Director at SF Advisors, Chair of the CIE Advisory Board
- Ellie Ahi, Co-Founder & President of Technology of Mybiograph Inc, Investor/Member of the Software Committee at Keiretsu Forum, SCU School of Engineering Adjunct Professor
- Paul La Londe, Associate at SV Angel
- John Giddings, Principal at CleanTech Integration, Founder at The Tech Angel Group, SCU School of Engineering Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Greg Moore, CEO & Co-Founder of Fit3D
- Jennifer Woolley, SCU Associate Professor of Management, Operations Consultant at Westhold Corporation, Founding Member of the SCU CAPE Development Task Force
- Tom Lavelle, Owner of Thomas R. Lavelle Law Offices, SCU School of Law Adjunct Professor active with the SCU Entrepreneurs Law Clinic
CIE Hosts New Speaker Series
New for the 2013-14 academic year, the CIE rolled out a new CIE Entrepreneur Forum Speaker Series. This series addresses topics of interest to SCU student entrepreneurs and provides our students with an opportunity to experience "the startup story" directly from alumni living it each day. The intimate format is designed for a greater connection with the speaker and provides ample opportunity for Q&A. The series is held Monday evenings.
CIE Office Hours for Entrepreneurs Helps Students & Alumni
On a quarterly basis, the CIE brings in Silicon Valley experts to meet with students and alumni in 20-mintue one-on-one sessions for assistance with business plan review, pitch critique, presentation review, funding discussions or a general startup Q&A session. Special thanks to our volunteers Michelle Ellie Ahi, Mike Kyriacou, Chris Norris, Abram Dawson, Andrea Zurek and Pietro Dova .
Students also meet with the CIE on an ad-hoc basis year round for startup review, assistance and competition prep/assistance. Can't wait for one of our quarterly sessions? Contact CIE Executive Director Dan Aguiar to set up a meeting.