Awards and Honors
Graduate business students may be recognized for academic achievement, contributions to SCU community life, or service to the Graduate Business School. Award recipients must be degree-seeking students in the Graduate Business Programs. For more information about these recognition opportunities, contact the Graduate Business Student Life.
Please note: Awards are posted annually, after Commencement, for the academic year (e.g. July 2011 for the 2010-11 school year).
Instituted to honor Mario Belotti, the W.M. Keck Professor of Economics, who has taught at SCU since 1959, the Belotti Awards are presented at several points in a student's progress through the program. Recognizes student academic progress throughout the program with three distinctions. Off to a Great Start and The Home Stretch are offered when the respective courses are offered. Turning the Corner is offered at the end of each quarter.
- Off to a Great Start- recognizes the two top students in each section of Accounting 300 (Financial Accounting) and Management 501 (Managerial Competencies and Team Effectiveness), the first classes students take in the Graduate Business Program. The recipients of the award are selected by the course professors.
- Turning the Corner- honors graduate business students who have completed 36-50 units with a cumulative GPA of 3.9 or above. The 36-50 units includes all units earned toward the graduate business degree, including waived courses.
- The Home Stretch- marks the top capstone group in each section of Management 619 (Business Policy in High Technology Firms), taken in a student's last quarter. The recipients of the award are selected by the capstone professors.
Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
The national scholastic honor society for students of business, Beta Gamma Sigma is analogous to Phi Beta Kappa in the arts, and Sigma Xi in the sciences. Election to membership is the highest scholastic honor that a student of business may achieve. Membership is limited to outstanding students who give promise of success in the field of business, and who rank in the top 20 percent of MBA or MSIS graduates. This award is managed by the Leavey School of Business Alumni & External Relations department.
Presented to students:
- earning a term GPA of 3.8 or above,
- that have completed a minimum of six units prior to the awarded term, and
- completed a minimum of four term units during the awarded term.
|Community Life Awards
Dean's Leadership Award
Given to one or more graduating students upon the recommendation of staff, faculty and nominations by fellow students.