News and Events
News and announcements from the Retail Management Institute.
Thursday, Apr. 25, 2013
RMI's Director, Kirthi Kalyanam, discusses the perpetuating problem of sizing and how it effects eCommerce.
Monday, Feb. 25, 2013
Prof. Kirthi Kalyanam is quoted a post by Marketplace.
He discusses the above question... Is Google the new Apple?
Friday, Feb. 8, 2013
Check out the electronic version of our Fall 2012 Newsletter here!
Monday, Jan. 7, 2013
Attention RMI Alums and Seniors!
G Hensler has two current job openings! One for an Account Manager and one for a Production Assistant.
ACCOUNT MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
- Work with Account/Sales/Design to determine product needs with target prices and quantities
- Review tech packages and send to factories for sampling
- Monitor and track samples with factories
- Develop cost options to offer alternative solutions in order to meet Accounts’ desired pricing when challenged
- Negotiate best prices and deliveries with factories and Accounts
- Identify new opportunities for sales volume growth
- Obtain Purchase Orders and check for accuracy
- Create and maintain seasonal tracking tool to ensure orders are shipped on time
- Monitor color and sample approvals with factories and Account
- Order all necessary trims (hangtags, labels, hangers, etc) for the order
- Review all size sets, PP and TOP samples against confirmation samples before sending to Account
- Partner with Logistics to ensure testing is completed in timely manner in order to meet delivery dates
- Track shipments and communicate any delivery delays with Account
- Send clear communications with factories to ensure customers’ requests/expectations are met
- Be the liaison between factories and customers to resolve any production issues that arise.
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
- Sample tracking and keep good record of samples sent with photos & copies
- Maintain Work In Progress reports daily
- Assist special accounts in assigning UPC codes
- Prepare line sheets, track, gather and send samples for customer meetings & presentations
- Assist in the preparing and sending of Pre-Production, Sizing and Top of Production samples
- Assist in sample tagging and labeling for all stages
- Occasional couriering samples to customers in the downtown San Francisco areas
- Filing and binder organization for different customers and seasons
- Prepare swatch cards based on customer’s needs
- Maintain development charts for multiple accounts on a daily basis
- Assist in updating and maintaining costing worksheets for multiple accounts
- UPS – manage all package shipping issues
- Record incoming shipments
- Process outgoing shipments to factories in Asia and customers in the US
- Maintain shipping binders
- Order supplies
- Assist with special projects (e.g. sample sale)
- Office maintenance / Equipment maintenance
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, ability to work with complex and detailed data to drive insights
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook Email, Microsoft Office and Excel
- Must be detail-oriented
- Willingness to take on additional projects
- BA / BS degree required
- Interest/knowledge of retail and apparel industry
If you are interested in learning more, please email Hayley Redburn at email@example.com.
Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012
Dr. Kalyanam discusses JP Penny, the retailer's one and only sale of the year and how their "every day low prices" philosophy affects consumers.
Check out the full video at the link below:
Friday, Nov. 30, 2012
Alyssa Tomasello '13, RSSA President, was awarded the Ray M. Greenly Scholarship!
Ray Greenly was the Vice President of Research and Member Services for Shop.org for almost seven years.
Ray had a variety of responsibilities at Shop.org, one of which was his management of our annual e-commerce report, The State of Retailing Online, the premier e-commerce benchmarking study. Ray also managed Shop.org's membership with a personal touch rooted in his deep respect for the members and their businesses.
Never one to demand the spotlight, Ray was the kind of person that everyone wants on their team: patient, witty, and always willing to go the extra mile. A diehard Boston Red Sox fan, Ray was thrilled to see his Sox win their first World Series since 1918 before losing his year-long fight with cancer in the fall of 2005. The Shop.org staff and the entire online retail community miss him dearly.
Ray's spirit lives on in the Ray M. Greenly Scholarship Fund, which has been established to provide financial support to students pursuing careers in the e-commerce industry. A portion of the proceeds from items purchased through CyberMonday.com help support Ray's scholarship and his memory. As of January 2010, more than $1.3 million has been raised for the scholarship fund.
Friday, Nov. 30, 2012
Check out RMI's Executive Director, Dale Achabal, talking about Black Friday and Cyber Monday on CCTV!
Friday, Nov. 30, 2012
Retail Management Institute executive director Dale Achabal and director Kirthi Kalyanam were in heavy demand by local, regional, national and even international media outlets for their insights into Black Friday and how the phenomenon has
crept earlier and later into the year, creating “Black Thursday” and “Cyber Monday.”
Prof. Achabal spoke to or was quoted by the (Findlay, Ohio) Courier; ABC7 News; KLIV and KGO radio; CBS San Francisco; KOFY- TV; Patch.com; and Chinese broadcaster CCTV.
Prof. Achabal was also quoted in two pre-Black Friday stories in the San Francisco Chronicle, about the opening of a Uniglo store and about malls.
Prof. Kalyanam spoke to or was quoted in several stories in the San Jose Mercury News (each of which also ran in a dozen or more other papers or websites, such as the Chicago Tribune, Hartford Courant, Politico and Bloomberg BusinessWeek); Merced Sun-Star; Seattle Times (which also ran in Bloomberg BusinessWeek); San Francisco Chronicle; Detroit News; KLIV and ABC radio; KTVU Channel 2; and the Denver Post.
Find the list of links below!
San Francisco Chronicle (Uniglo) San Francisco Chronicle (malls).
Friday, Aug. 3, 2012
The Retail Management Institute welcomes Kent Anderson as the newest Advisory Board member.
On May 18, 1998, Kent Anderson was appointed President of macys.com, a division of Macy's, Inc. Anderson, who had been the first employee of macys.com, has since built a substantial team. From its inception in 1998, the web-based business has grown to over 1000 employees who are based at the organization's San Francisco and New York headquarters.
In addition to developing and implementing the e-commerce strategy for macys.com, Anderson has been responsible for creating and integrating the on-line bridal registry program for Macy's, Inc. in partnership with the WeddingChannel.com team.
Anderson's association with the Macy's organization dates back to 1983. His roles have included management positions in Operations, Finance, Marketing and Merchandising. Most recently he was Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer of Macy's West.
Kent is a member of the Global Leadership Council at Colorado State University. He is also on the Board of Directors of the San Francisco YMCA.
He earned his degree in Business Administration from Colorado State University. He and his wife Patti have three grown children and reside in Mill Valley, California. Kent is an avid tennis player, skier and cyclist.
Friday, Jul. 27, 2012
Congratulations to the 2013 Jill Curran Retail Studies Endowed Scholarship New York Trip Recipients!
The four students awarded the Jill Curran Scholarship will be traveling to New York in January 2013 to the National Retail Federation 102nd Conference & Expo and to visit with several RMI alumni's and board member companies in New York City. Please join us in congratulating the following students:
Melinda Brasil - Class of 2013
Lauren DeWitt - Class of 2013
Kelli Hashimoto - Class of 2014
Anna Woelfel - Class of 2013
The 102nd National Retail Federation 102nd Conference & Expo will be held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City. The convention dates are January 13-16, 2013 and the Expo dates are January 13-15, 2013. For more information visit http://events.nrf.com/annual2013/public/MainHall.aspx?ID=13380