A cover letter is your opportunity to tell the hiring manager how you can help the organization.
- Do your homework and show that you thoroughly understand the organization and the job.
- Focus on their needs, not on what you want, except for internships where it’s acceptable to mention what you hope to learn.
- A letter of inquiry about opportunities follows the same principles. Just replace the “applying for” phrase with “ inquiring about opportunities”.
- Keep your letter short, no more than one page. Be brief and concise.
- Always send a cover letter unless specifically instructed to send only a resume.