- Utensils should be used from the outside in.
- Once a utensil is used, it should not touch the table again.
- When you are finished with your soup, place your soup spoon on the plate underneath the bowl.
- When resting a knife on your plate, the blade of the knife should always face you and be placed on top of the plate.
Tips When Dining
Sitting Down and Getting Up
- Place your napkin on your lap when seated. Do not entirely unfold the napkin.
- If you need to rise during the meal, place your napkin on the chair, not the table.
- If you are introduced to someone during the meal, stand up and shake hands.
- Select a medium priced meal.
- The person who invites pays the bill.
- Do not start before your host/hostess begins unless you are told to do so.
- Pass food, condiments, and other items counter clockwise. Salt and pepper shakers travel as a pair.