Professional Social Etiquette
Your behavior during meals and receptions can advance, or halt, your candidacy for a job. Take a look at the following tips that will serve you well in your job search and in life.
I've been invited to an employer event, what should I expect?
- RSVP whether you are able to attend or not.
- Clarify appropriate attire in advance. First impressions matter.
- Turn off your cell phone!
Learn about Dining Etiquette.
How do I talk to people I don't know?
- Go first. Introduce yourself with a smile, firm handshake, and friendly eye contact.
- Use the person's name immediately in conversation to indicate you are paying attention.
- Avoid controversial subjects. Keep an eye out for common interests.
- Be sincere, maintain eye contact, and smile.
How do I make introductions?
- Introducing yourself: If you are not immediately introduced, you should introduce yourself as promptly as is decently appropriate.
- Responding to introductions: If seated, rise and be prepared to shake hands. Make eye contact with a handshake and smile.
How do I graciously leave the event?
- You may exit at a natural break, without having to give a reason why you are leaving. You might say, "So nice to meet you, Ms Nguyen, please excuse me..."
- Always send a thank you note within 1-2 days.