Dr. Laura L. Ellingson
Associate Professor of Communication and Women's & Gender Studies
: Dr. Ellingson earned her Ph.D. in Communication and a Graduate Certificate in Women's Studies at the University of South Florida in May 2001. Prior to that, she earned a B.A. in English at the University of Vermont (May 1991), an M.A. in Nonfiction Writing at the University of New Hampshire (December 1992); and an M.A. in Communication at Northern Illinois University (May 1997).
Teaching areas/responsibilities: Dr. Ellingson teaches Qualitative Research Methods, Public Speaking, Communication and Gender, and Health Communication.
Research interests: Dr. Ellingson conducts research on interpersonal communication within extended family networks and within health care organizations. Her primary interests are in communication between aunts, nieces, and nephews and in communication among interdisciplinary healthcare team members. Her research uses feminist interviewing and feminist ethnographic methods.
- Ellingson, L. L. & Sotirin, P. (2010). Aunting: Cultural practices that sustain family and community life. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press.
- Ellingson, L. L. (2009). Engaging crystallization in qualitative research: An introduction. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
See samples of crystallization in progress, pedagogical exercises, bibliography and other related links here.
- Ellingson, L.L. & Sotirin, P. (2008). Academic aunting: Reimagining feminist (wo)mentoring, teaching, and relationships. Women & Language, 30(1), 35-42.
- Ellingson, L. L. (2007). The performance of dialysis care: Routinization and adaptation on the floor. Health Communication, 22, 103-114.
- Ellingson, L. L. (2005). Communicating in the clinic: Negotiating frontstage and backstage teamwork. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press. (Click on book image for PDF order form.)
- Ellis, C., & Ellingson, L. L. (2001). Qualitative methods. In E. F. Borgatta & R. J. V. Montgomery, (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Sociology, Revised Edition (pp, 2287-2296). NY: Macmillan Library Reference.
- Ellingson, L. L. (2000). Style, substance, and standpoint: A feminist critique of Bernie Siegel's rhetoric of self-healing. Women's Studies in Communication, 23, 63-90
- Ellingson, L. L., & Buzzanell, P. M. (1999). Listening to women's narratives of breast cancer treatment: A feminist appoach to patient satisfaction with physician-patient communication. Health Communication, 11, 153-183.
- Ellingson, L. L. (1998). "Then you know how I feel": Empathy, identification, and reflexivity in fieldwork. Qualitative Inquiry, 4, 492-514.
- Buzzanell, P. M., Ellingson, L. L., Silvio, C., Pasch, V., Dale, B., Mauro, G., Smith, E., Weir, N., & Martin, C. (1997). Leadership in alternative organizing processes: Invitational and dramaturgical leadership. Communication Studies, 48, 285-310.
Laura L. Ellingson
Arts and Sciences Building 212
Santa Clara University
Santa Clara, CA 95053