Apply to become a provisional member of Lambda Pi Eta
2013-2014 School Year Open Enrollment
ATTENTION: Lambda Pi Eta only accepts applications during the open enrollment period. The current open-enrollment period closes on May 9, 2014 at 3:00pm. Graduating seniors are no longer eligible to apply for membership -- the deadline for graduating seniors was in November. Therefore, only students who meet the minimum number of units at the university and in their communication courses may apply.
To qualify as a member of the Communication Honor Society, you must:
Be a Communication Major or Minor in good standing with the university
Have completed at least 90 units of coursework
Have completed at least 18 units in Communication
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00 for all coursework
Have a minimum GPA of 3.50 in COMM courses
Rank in the top 35% of your class (we will calculate this for you after you apply)
If your membership petition is accepted, you will be considered a "Provisional" member until you have done the following:
- Pay a $40 membership fee (payment due within 30 days from the notice of acceptance)
- Complete an approved community service obligation (usually about 2 - 3 hours total).
- Attend all meetings of the society (usually 3 per year, unless excused)
Please note: if you do not meet these requirements, you will not be granted "inducted membership" into the society (which means that you won't be eligible to receive a certificate, pin, and graduation cord). Only the CHS executive board can exempt a provisional member from these requirements. Once you have completed, you will be considered a fully-inducted members.
If you believe you qualify and are interested in becoming a provisional member, please download, complete, and print your application
. Once you have done so, you will need to do the following:
- Make sure all parts of the application are complete
- Print a copy of your degree progress report (from eCampus)
- Submit your application and degree audit report (please put your degree audit report in a sealed envelope to protect your confidential information) to the Communication Department Office, 2nd Floor of Arts & Sciences by the deadline date and time.
- Note: If you are traveling abroad this quarter, you may e-mail your completed application and PDF copy of your degree audit report to Dr. Justin Boren (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline (Pacific Time).
The deadline for the Spring of 2014 is: May 9, 2014 by 3:00pm. We will base your application on your grades through the Winter Quarter of 2014.
Download the application here
Some other important notes:
The service requirement will be directed by the faculty adviser and will support the academic goals of the department, which may include special projects sponsored by faculty, hosting department Open House, Preview day and Grad School panels, community service projects, and other works. You will receive additional information about service obligations and opportunities from the membership meetings and through our e-mail list (which you will automatically become a member, if your application is accepted). Once you have completed each of the service obligations and have paid your membership dues, you will become a fully-inducted members.
The membership fee of $40.00 will be required if your application is accepted to the society. The membership fee includes lifetime membership in Lambda Pi Eta, chapter dues, and your membership certificate & pin (distributed during end-of-year ceremonies). There are additional costs (currently at $9.00) if you would like an honor cord to wear during commencement. Actual costs will be provided to you prior to commencement. There is no need to provide payment with your application, as payment will be accepted after your application has been approved.
Fully Inducted members in Lambda Pi Eta are eligible to:
- Vote at all chapter meetings of the society
- Be elected to chapter offices
- Attend scholarly presentations and colloquia of the Communication Department
- Represent the chapter at State, Regional, and National Conventions
- Submit to LPH research papers for the National Communication Association's annual convention
- Receive LPH electronic newsletter, "simply speaking"
- Submit a paper for possible publication to LPH's annual journal
- Utilize LPH's experience.com online job service for honor students
- Participate in LPH social media efforts via LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter
- Participate in periodic teleconferences on topics like career development
- Compete for various LPH national awards
- Network with other LPH members
- Wear the LPH red and white honor cords during commencement
- Be granted lifetime membership in the national chapter of LPH
- Be eligible to wear the LPH pin
- Receive a membership certificate and be eligible to include LPH induction on resume.
If you have questions about these policies, please contact Dr. Justin P. Boren, Lambda Pi Eta Adviser at 408-551-7057 or email@example.com