Department of History
Spring 2013 Office Hours:
Tuesdays & Thursdays
and by appointment
Ph. D, Princeton University
M.A., Princeton University
Teaching at SCU
Lower Division Courses
- Medieval and Early Modern Western Civilization
- Modern Western Civilization
- Culture and Ideas 1: Identity and the “Other” in the Shaping of the Modern World
- Culture and Ideas II: Identity and the “Other” in the Shaping of the Modern World
Upper Division Courses
- Reformers & Revolutionaries in Tsarist Russia
- The Soviet Experiment
- Gender/Race/Class in 20th-Century Europe
- The History of Sexuality
- Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide in the Twentieth Century
Editor, Genocide and Gender in the Twentieth Century: A Comparative Survey (forthcoming, Bloomsbury Publishing).
The Soviet Dream World of Retail Trade and Consumption in the 1930s
(Basingstoke, UK and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, October 2008).
"Soviet Masculinities: Guest Editor's Introduction," Russian Studies in History 51:2 (Fall 2012): 3-12.
"'Abortion Will Deprive You of Happiness!': Soviet Reproductive Politics in the Post-Stalin Era," The Journal of Women's History 23:3 (2011): 13-38.
"The 'Right' to Control Her Own Body?: Soviet Women, Abortion and the State," and online essay for the Journal of Women's History for new web initiative, "Beyond the Printed Page," September 2011.
“Repealing the Ban on Abortion,” an invited essay for Seventeen Moments in History (www.soviethistory.org), July 2010.
This academic website is an award winning on-line collection of primary source materials and writings on Soviet history edited by James von Geldern and Lewis Siegelbaum. In addition to this essay, I translated two primary documents ("Repeal of the Ban on Abortion" and "For you, Comrade Men"), selected and abridged a relevant excerpt on abortion from All Quiet on the Don (a Soviet novel), and selected and translated three Soviet public health posters for the website.
"Legitimizing Soviet Trade: Gender and Feminization of the Retail
Workforce in the Soviet 1930s," Journal of Social History 37:4
(Summer 2004): 965-990).
"Revolutionary Bolshevik Work' -- Stakhanovism in Retail Trade,"
The Russian Review 59:3 (July 2000): 425-441.
Grants, Fellowship, and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa Northern California Teaching Excellence Award, Spring 2012
- Presidential Research Grant, Santa Clara University, Spring 2012
Dean's Office Travel Grant, Spring 2012
- Dean's Office Travel Grant, Spring 2010
- Women's & Gender Studies Travel Grant, Spring 2010
- New Core Curriculum Development Award for a Cultures and Ideas 1 & 2 sequence, "Identity & the "Other" in the Shaping of the Modern World," Fall 2008
- New Core Curriculum Development Award for a Cultures and Ideas 3 Course: "Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide in the Twentieth Century," Spring 2008
- Paul J. Locatelli, S.J. Junior Faculty Grant, Fall 2007.
- University Grant for Indexing, November 2007.
- Presidential Research Grant, Santa Clara University, Summer 2007.
- ACLS/SSRC/NEH International and Area Studies Fellowship, 2004-2005.