Santa Clara University
Department Chair 1979-1984, 1997-2000
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin - Madison
M.S. University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.S. Cornell University
Articles and Chapters (selected)
"Working to Prosperity: California's New Deal Murals," California History (Summer 1979): 98-127.
"Working at Playing: The Culture of the Workplace and the Rise of Baseball," Journal of Social History 16 (June 1983): 3-22.
"Their Hands Are All Out Playing: Business and Amateur Baseball, 1845-1917," Journal of Sport History 11 (Spring 1984): 5-27.
"A Job You Can't Lose: Work and Hobbies in the Great Depression," Journal of Social History 24 (Summer 1991), 741-766.
"Free Market Metaphor: The Historical Dynamics of Stamp Collecting," Comparative Studies in Society and History 34 (October 1992): 742-769.
"Do-It-Yourself: Constructing, Repairing and Maintaining Domestic Masculinity," American Quarterly 49 (March 1997): 66-112.
"Horseless Horses: Car Dealing and the Survival of Retail Bargaining," in Peter N. Stearns, ed., American Behavioral History (New York: New York University Press, 2005).
Black Men and Businessmen: The Growing Awareness of a Social Responsibility (Port Washington, N.Y.: Kennikat Press, 1974).
New Deal Art: California, co-director, art exhibit and catalog, deSaisset Museum, Santa Clara University, 1976.
Saving the Earth: The History of a Middle-Class Millenarian Movement (Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1990), with Martin Cook.
Hobbies: Productive Leisure and the Culture of Work in America (New York: Columbia University Press, 1999).
Horse Trading in the Era of Cars: Men in the Marketplace (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008).
Community Activities (selected)
- City of Santa Clara Historic and Landmarks Commission – historical advisor
- Harris-Lass House Museum, Santa Clara – board member
- History San Jose (historical museum) – collections committee member, guest curator
- Good Samaritan Hospital, San Jose – human subjects review committee member
- National Endowment for the Humanities – public programs grant review committee member
- Arts Council of Sonoma County – advisor/consultant
- Sonoma County Museum – board member, history committee chair