Congratulations on your acceptance to Santa Clara University's Casa de la Solidaridad in El Salvador. You are about to join a community of students from around the United States who also desire to participate in this unique and life-changing study abroad experience. In preparation for your arrival, please take time to review all information on this page and complete all required documents on time. In the coming weeks, the co-directors of the Casa program will be in touch with you via email to introduce the rest of the participants and provide additional instructions. We look forward to welcoming you to the Casa. In the meantime, please take time to review and follow through on the following information:
Now that you have received your acceptance message from Santa Clara University, it is your responsibility to complete the following required forms and send them to SCU Casa de la Solidaridad Coordinator, Study Abroad, Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053) by the deadline indicated in your acceptance message.
The information below will help you clarify the role of each of the forms.
- CONFIRMATION / DEPOSIT FORM: This form serves to confirm your enrollment in the program. The form includes details on program deposits for those students who need to submit a deposit.
- SAFETY COVENANT FORM: This Safety Covenant covers behavioral and safety standards of the Casa de la Solidaridad. Please read and understand this document carefully before signing it.
- MEDICAL SELF ASSESSMENT: This self-assessment form needs to be completed by you prior to your medical appointment. In addition to mailing the original to SCU Study Abroad please make a copy of the completed and signed documents and bring it to El Salvador.
- MEDICAL FORM: This Medical Form needs to be completed by your personal physician or at your home university's health center. In addition to mailing the original to SCU Study Abroad please make a copy of the completed and signed documents and bring it to El Salvador.
Please contact SCU Study Abroad staff in the Global Engagement Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)) if you are unable to meet any of the deadlines.
Pre-Departure Preparation & Notices
- eCAMPUS ACCOUNT: Please be aware that Santa Clara University does NOT issue paper invoices to students. All students including participants in the Casa de la Solidaridad program are billed online via their ECampus account.Once we have received your confirmation / deposit form, then we will send your application materials to the Office of the Registrar where the staff will officially enroll you into Santa Clara University for the term. Soon after, you will receive an email from email@example.com with your ecampus account login information. Please check your spam/quarantine files in case it was misdirected there. If you have not received it, then email the Assistant Registrar Carol Bonney (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she will be able to assist. It is very important that you have access to your eCampus account as your invoice and grades will be posted there. It is also there that you will request your official Casa transcript at the end of the program.
- BILLING & PAYMENT: ll students will be billed via eCampus except for students from institutions that have set up a consortium / direct billing contracts with Santa Clara University. Check with the study abroad office at your home institution if they have a direct billing contract with Santa Clara. Students from schools with direct billing contract with Santa Clara University will be billed via their study abroad office or the appropriate office on their home university. Please be aware that your home university may charge you a different amount based on their stated policy/cost schedule. Regardless of billing method all payments need to be received by SCU billing payment dates (http://www.scu.edu/bursar/payment/Tuition-Deadline.cfm)
- Summer Payment Due: May 21st
- Fall Payment Due: August 21st
- Spring Payment Due: December 21st
A $100 late payment fee will be automatically assessed every month for unpaid balance. Students will have the capability of downloading a hard copy of their statement or forwarding it electronically to any third party of choice for remittance. All others will be fully responsible for all payments via eCampus. For more information, please visit the Bursar’s website: www.scu.edu/bursar
- TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS: Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements. Please plan on arriving at and departing from the El Salvador International Airport on the program dates listed below. When you have finalized your travel plans, be sure to e-mail your arrival information (airline, flight number, arrival time) to Kevin Yonkers-Talz (email@example.com) or Trena Yonkers-Talz (firstname.lastname@example.org). Casa staff members will meet you outside baggage claim in El Salvador. Trena or Kevin will be in touch with you in the coming weeks for other important information. Notice: You do NOT need a student or travel visa prior to arriving in El Salvador.
- Arrival: August 19th
- Departure: December 16th
- Arrival: June 14th
- Departure: July 12th
- Spring 2016
- Arrival: January 20th
- Departure: May 18th
- PRE-DEPARTURE HANDBOOK: We look forward to working with you in the following months to prepare you for your time in El Salvador. You can download the Pre-Departure Handbook below. The pre-departure handbook covers information about El Salvador as a country, health and safety considerations, community guidelines, suggested reading preparation list, etc. Please plan to spend some time preparing for your semester with the Casa by going through these materials. Download Now (updated Handbook 2015)
- HEALTH & SAFETY ABROAD: It is very important that you review the U.S. State Department's website for all required and recommended information for Americans traveling to El Salvador. (www.travel.state.gov).
- ACE TRAVEL INSURANCE: All accepted students in the Casa de la Solidaridad program are automatically covered under Santa Clara's supplemental travel insurance policy through ACE with no additional fee. Please review the ACE International Travel ID card below which describes the coverage. The section below the dotted line may be placed in a wallet or kept on your person at all times. Please discard any documents referring to the CISI program. Download the ACE International Travel Card (PDF)
Withdrawal / Refund Policy
Students who withdraw from the Casa program after submitting their Confirmation Form will forfeit their $500 deposit and will be charged any unrecoverable expenses as detailed in the withdrawal schedule for their term (http://www.scu.edu/studyabroad/students/policies/withdrawal.cfm). Students who withdraw may not defer their application to a subsequent term, but they may reapply. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their intent to withdraw with an SCU Study Abroad staff member in the Global Engagement Office at Santa Clara University and their home university to be certain they fully comprehend the academic and financial implications prior to making their decision. Students who are involuntarily withdrawn or dismissed from a program are responsible for all program costs and may receive no credit.
To withdraw, students must email email@example.com and Kevin or Trena Yonkers-Talz with the subject line: “Withdrawal: Term Year – Full Name.” The withdrawal statement must include: 1) the reason for withdrawal, 2) date of withdrawal. Study Abroad Office will work with the program provider to determine the implications for grades, credits and finances. Study Abroad Office will notify the Registrar’s Office, Bursar’s Office and Financial Aid Office that the student has been withdrawn within three business days.
- REQUESTING YOUR CASA TRANSCRIPT: Approximately 2-3 weeks after your final examination, your professors will forward all grades to the Study Abroad Office at Santa Clara University to be posted to your ecampus account for your viewing pleasure on your ecampus account. Once all your grades are posted, you can request your official transcript to be sent to your home institution and/or yourself free of charge using one of the ways found on the Registrar's website.
Again, congratulations and welcome to the Casa de la Solidaridad!
- For eCampus Account: Carol Bonney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Forms & Application Procedures: Study Abroad Office (Studyabroad@scu.edu)
- Billing & Payment: Study Abroad Office (Studyabroad@scu.edu)
- Arrival / Departure & Program Questions: Trena Yonkers-Talz (email@example.com) & Kevin Yonkers-Talz (firstname.lastname@example.org)