Santa Clara University

HTML Website Banner

Sound Amplification

  • iconSound Permit

    Student organizations that are hosting outdoor events with sound amplification either through a speaker system or megaphone are required to: (1) submit a request form to have an outdoor event with amplified sound, and (2) obtain a sound permit from the City of Santa Clara in advance of the event date.

    Amplified sound is not permitted on weekdays (except Friday evenings) or during reading period, final exams, and commencement for the Law School.

    >>> Santa Clara University - Request Form for Amplified Sound at Outdoor Event

    >>> City of Santa Clara - Sound Permit Information & Application

  • iconPermit Application Deadline

    At least two weeks prior to the event date.

  • iconPermit Fee

    Each permit has a $63.00 fee assessed by the City of Santa Clara. Your student organization would be responsible for paying this fee.

  • iconUniversity Approval

    Approval of sound permits is by Matt Cameron (Assistant Vice Provost for Student Life). Once he approves, the permit form then needs to be submitted to the City of Santa Clara for final review and approval.

    However, Request Forms for Amplified Sound at an Outdoor Event are approved by Tedd Vanadilok (Director of Campus Programs) for requests by student organizations and Heather Dumas-Dyer (Director of Residence Life) for requests by residence halls.

  • iconStudent Handbook

    To view the Sound Amplification Policy in its entirety, see pages 56 and 62 in the Student Handbook.

Printer-friendly format