- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
- ECP Home
- About ECP
- Admission & Aid
Academic Program Areas
- Counseling Psychology
- Educational Leadership & Administration
Teacher Education, Preparation, & Advanced Studies
- Master of Arts in Teaching + Teaching Credential (MATTC)
- Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Education
- Preliminary Teaching Program for Catholic School Teachers
- Abbreviated Preliminary Teaching Program for Catholic and Private School Teachers
- Clear Teaching Credential
- Certificate in Alternative and Correctional Education
- Course Schedules
Current Student Services
- Career Center
- New Student Welcome
- Academic Calendar
- News & Updates
- Graduate Bulletin & Handbooks
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Course Descriptions & Schedules
- Student Forms
- Disabilities Resources
- Technology Resources
- Student Organizations
- CPSY Exit Survey
- Affiliated Programs & Alumni
- Contact Us!
CEU Mental Health Practitioners
CPD Mental Health: CPSY x258: Assessing and Treating Chemical Dependency
Friday, March 21 at 9:00 AM to Saturday, March 22 at 5:30 PM
CPSY x258– Assessing and Treating Chemical Dependency
*** 15 Continuing Education Hours ***
This two-day course provides tools for assessment and treatment of individuals and couples dealing with addiction.
Day One covers current neurological and biological theories of addiction; the developmental stages and tasks in recovery; use of 12-step programs, as well as alternatives to 12-step approaches; relapse prevention, and special treatment issues. Participants will participate in role plays to practice basic assessment and treatment strategies.
Day Two covers dynamics in chemically dependent family systems. The focus in particular on working with the couple system is based on the Couple Recovery Development Approach (CRDA), a research-based relational approach aimed at helping couples at all stages of recovery. Participants will practice in role plays specific strategies aimed at facilitating “Couple Recovery”.
At the conclusion of this workshop participants will:
• Be conversant about theory and concepts in contemporary addiction research and treatment with chemically dependent individuals.
• Have an increased understanding/appreciation of the complexity of addiction treatment as well as development and articulation of therapeutic technique as it relates to practice with individual clients and with the couple system.
• Apply a comprehensive model of treatment inclusive of development, systemic, psychodynamic (attachment and identity formation), and trauma theory.
• Have increased familiarity with 12-step programs and how to incorporate them into treatment.
Robert Navarra, Psy.D, M.F.T., MAC is certified by the Gottman Institute as a Trainer and Speaker to offer all 3 Levels in the Gottman Training and Certification curriculum. He co-authored a book chapter with Dr. John Gottman, titled, “Gottman Method Couples Therapy: From Theory to Practice”. He has also been interviewed by Redbook Magazine, US News & World Report, and Women’s Day Magazine.
Christina Enquist, Ed.D.Tel 408-551-1981