Santa Clara University

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Care




What if someone needs emergency care?

Dial 911 or x4444. If you are evacuating a building, assist the injured person only if the action does not place you in danger. Otherwise, evacuate and notify emergency crews of the injured person's location within the building.

Where can I find an emergency First-aid kit?

Contact your Building Manager for information on the location of an emergency First-aid kit. If there is an life threatening emergency, dial 911 or x4444.

Is it my obligation to clear the building?

If you are the one determining the need to evacuate the building you should notify the other occupants. This is most easily done by activating the fire alarm system and proceeding to the building Emergency Assembly Point.

Do not initiate a building evacuation unless advised to do so or if there is a clear and present danger, such as fire within the building.

What if we have a chemical or biological event?

If you are outside in the area of the event, evacuate upwind.

If you are inside a building, remain at your location and close the windows until you receive further information.

  • As soon as possible; word will come by telephone, e-mail, or runner from the Emergency Operations Center, the fire department, or other responding agency, to either evacuate or remain in the building.
  • Once directed to evacuate, proceed to the building Emergency Assembly Point (noted on the evacuation plan posted in the corridors of the building).
Will I be required to remain on campus?

That depends. If the campus ceases normal operations and you are not critical to the emergency recovery, you will probably be directed to return home.

Do I need a roll of duct tape?

Not on campus. The most practical solution to seal a building on campus is to close the doors and windows and shut down the HVAC system. Facilities can either remotely or manually shut down the HVAC systems across campus.

If there is an emergency event, should I come to work?

Check the following items for instructions:

  • If the campus notification system has been activated, you may receive a telephone call at home, regarding work status.
  • Listen to the radio and check the University web site for information.
  • Contact your supervisor, coworker, or 554-4000 for additional information.
  • Contact your office voice mail and listen for a general broadcast message.

If no information is available, come to work only if you are essential to emergency recovery.

What can I do to better prepare?
  • Read the Emergency Handbook.
  • Know the Evacuation Procedures and  Emergency Assembly Point. They are posted on the interior of every building.
  • Make sure the department has your current emergency notification information on file.
  • Notify your supervisor, roommate, coworker where you are going and when you expect to return.
  • Have with you at work at least three days of medication.
  • Have with you at home at least a month's supply of medication.
  • If your diet requires frequent meals, you should have an emergency supply of food, preferably long shelf-life items.
  • Be aware of your surroundings; keep your eyes open. Alert Campus Safety 554-4444, of any suspicious or unusual events, objects, or people.
  • If no one else is around during an emergency event, notify Campus Safety 554-4444 and take charge of the situation. Protect yourself and others from harm until Campus Safety or others arrive.
  • Review "Make a Plan", "Make a Kit", and "Be Informed" at to learn more regarding family and home preparations.
Where can I get information regarding the emergency event?

Information can be gained through the following means:

  • As information becomes available, it will be posted on the University Home Page and distributed by telephone, e-mail, or other available means to organizational operations centers.
  • Benson Center will post information on a public information board.
  • Contact (408)-554-4000 for additional emergency information. This number will have additional staffing during an emergency event.

Please do not call Campus Safety for general information. During an emergency, their phone lines and priorities should focus on dealing with the emergency.

Do I have a means to quickly contact/communicate with my immediate family, spouse, parents, or relatives?

Generally, you should have the same capabilities you have now:

  • The campus communications systems has emergency back-up power and will continue to function unless there is physical damage to the systems or to off-campus telecommunications networks.
  • Cellular telephones should continue to work, unless provider sites have experienced physical damage.
  • The campus network and Internet should continue to work, unless they have experienced physical damage.

If the emergency is large in scope, communications may be extremely slow due to cellular, land-line, and Internet overload. In that case, we ask that you remain patient.

Does my department have a notification plan?

Every department should establish a notification plan for emergency situations. Contact your department head to inquire further.

Who is going to notify my next of kin if I am injured or incapacitated?

If you have provided emergency contact information to the department head or Human Resources, they will initiate the notification. Otherwise, there may be a delay until the person to notify is identified.

Who do I contact in an emergency?

If the emergency IS life threatening, dial 911. If the emergency is NOT life threatening, contact Campus Safety (408-554-4444).

Emergency Service Requests should be called into Facilities immediately at 408-554-4742 and select Option #1.

Printer-friendly format