Santa Clara University


BS/MS Dual Degree Program for Arts & Sciences

The School of Engineering now offers qualified Santa Clara University undergraduates in the College of Arts and Sciences the opportunity to earn both a B.S. and M.S. degree in five years. The program is open to students majoring in Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering Physics.


In order to be eligible for the BS/MS program, students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the major. Those who meet this criterion will not be required to take the GRE. Students whose Bachelor's degree is in Mathematics, Computer Science or Engineering Physics will be accepted automatically, with no additional prerequisites. Biology majors will have to take the following three undergraduate courses before they are admitted into the MS program in Bioengineering: 

1.ELEN 50

2.BIOE 120 or AMTH 108

3.COEN 44 or 45

Note: Biology majors who have applied to the joint BS/MS program will be allowed to take ELEN 50 with PHYS 13 as a prerequisite (instead of PHYS 33). This exception applies only to students in this program

Admissions Procedures

In order to apply for the BS/MS program, you will need to submit the Engineering Graduate Services Online Application no later than the winter quarter of your senior year. The application fee and the GRE General Test requirement are waived.

Transferrable Courses

Students who are admitted into the program will be allowed to transfer up to 20 units of eligible coursework taken in the College of Arts and Sciences into the appropriate Engineering Master's program. Only courses that have not been used to fulfill the requirements for the Bachelor's degree qualify, provided that the student received a grade of B or higher. Grades obtained in each such course will be included in all GPA calculations related to the Master's degree.  

A list of courses that can be transferred is provided below (this list will be reevaluated periodically, and can be modified if both departments in question agree to this).

Engineering PhysicsElectrical Engineering

Transferrable Courses: All eligible senior electives in Electrical Engineering.

Biology Bioengineering

Transferrable CoursesBIOL 104,110, 122, 124, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 189; CHEM 111, 141, 142, 143,151, 152. Also, all eligible senior electives in Bioengineering.

Computer Science Computer Science and Engineering

Transferrable Courses: All eligible senior electives in Computer Science and Engineering.

Mathematics Applied Mathematics

Transferrable CoursesMATH : 103, 105, 112, 113, 123, 125,133, 134, 144, 153, 154, 155, 165, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178; CSCI: 161, 162, 164, 165, 167, 168, 181, 182

Undergraduate Students Who Wish to Take Graduate Courses

Students who have the necessary prerequisites will be allowed to take graduate-level engineering courses in their senior year. These courses are transferrable into the graduate program, as long as they are not applied toward the Bachelor's degree.

In order to register for these courses, you must do the following:

1.Complete the Permission to Take Graduate or Undergraduate Course form.

2.Have it signed by your faculty advisor, the Department Chair and the Director of Graduate Services in the School of Engineering.

3.Bring the approved form to the Office of the Registrar for official course registration.

Printer-friendly format