The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is:
- To educate undergraduate students in the fundamentals of mechanical engineering science, and to provide hands-on laboratory experiences that illuminate the theories and show their practical applications. Also, to include multiple team projects that enable students to work cooperatively to creatively apply theory and skill to the solution of challenging problems while understanding the social and environmental impacts of those solutions.
- To educate graduate students through a program of courses that will extend their knowledge and expertise in areas of relevance to mechanical engineers who are on the cutting edge of technology in Silicon Valley.
- To provide the resources and opportunities that will enable the faculty and staff of the department to grow in their careers so as to provide the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to foster this learning in an environment of support, challenge, and up to date technology.
- To further the state of knowledge of the discipline through research, industrial collaboration, and publications by the faculty and students of the department.
Program Educational Objectives
Our program will develop graduates who:
- Demonstrate their knowledge and depth of understanding of mechanical engineering in engineering practice and entry into rigorous graduate programs.
- Design, and lead development of, components, systems, tests, or services that meet specifications in the context of economic, environmental, and societal requirements.
- Work in a team environment, share their knowledge and expertise, and leadship.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, customers, subordinates, and managers.
- Act ethically and professionally.
- Continue to learn and grow professionally and personally.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the programgraduates will be able to:
- Apply concepts of math, science, and engineering
- Design, conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data
- Design a system, component or process to meet desired needs
- Function on a multi-disciplinary team
- Identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- Understand professional and ethical responsibility
- Communicate effectively
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- Recognize the need for, and ability to engage in life-long learning
- Acknowledge contemporary issues
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- Participation in activities indicative of fostering and enhancing compassion
- Ability to reduce concepts to working prototypes