Mechanical Engineering Design (Hight, Shoup)
The program of studies for the mechanical design option must include the following courses:
- CENG 205, 206, and 207 Finite Element Methods I, II, and III (2 units each)
- MECH 275 Design for Competitiveness (2 units)
- MECH 285 Computer-Aided Design of Mechanisms (2 units)
- MECH 325 Computational Geometry for Computer-Aided Design and Manufacture (2 units)
- MECH 334 Elasticity (2 units)
- MECH 415 Optimization in Mechanical Design (2 units)
Math requirement (8 units): MECH 200 and 201, or MECH 202 and approved two-course sequence or equivalent four unit course in Applied Math.
The following are other recommended sequences for this option:
- MECH 207, 208, and 209 Advanced Mechatronics I, II, and III (2 units each)
- MECH 273 and 274 Designing with Plastic Materials and Processing Plastic Materials (2 units each)
- MECH 281 Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue I (2 units)
- MECH 330 Atomic Arrangement, Defects, and Mechanical Behavior (2 units)
- MECH 331 Phase Equilibria and Transformations (2 units)
- MECH 332 Electronic Structure and Properties (2 units)
- MECH 371 and 372 Space Systems Design and Engineering I and II (4 units each)
Culminating experience: Thesis (4-9 units) or MECH 275B.
Courses added to the curriculum will be added to the graduate bulletin in future editions.