Publications by Center Scholars
Margalynne Armstrong, Law
- Teaching Race/Teaching Whiteness: Transforming Colorblindness to Color Insight, 86 North Carolina Law Review 635 (2008) also available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1108476
- "Can Good Samaritan Laws Fit into the United States Legal/Political Framework?" Santa Clara Law Review 40/4 (2000)
- "Race and Property Values in Entrenched Segregation," 52 Miami Law Review 1051 (1998)
- Contributing author
to Privilege Revealed: How Invisible Preference Undermines
- "Desegregation through Private Litigation:
Using Equitable Remedies to Achieve the Purposes of the Fair
Housing Act," 64 Temple Law Review 909 (1991)
on Being Good," 6 Berkeley Women's Law Journal 42
Christine Bachen, Communication
- "Portrayals of Information and
Communication Technology on World Wide Web Sites for Girls,"
The Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 11:3 (May
2006). The article was co-authored with former student Kathleen
M. Lynn and current students Jessica Baldwin-Philippi and Kristen
- Co-author, "Bridging the Gender Gap in Computing:
An Integrative Approach to Content Design for Girls," Journal
of Educational Computing Research 28:2
- Co-author, "Support
for FCC Minority Ownership Policy: How Broadcast Station Owner
Race or Ethnicity Affects News and Public Affairs Programming
Diversity," Communication Law and Policy 6 (2001)
- Co-author, "Assessing the Role of Gender in College Students'
Evaluations of Faculty," Communication Education
- Diversity of Programming in the Broadcast Spectrum:
Is There a Link between Owner Race or Ethnicity and News and
Public Affairs Programming? (1999).
Denise Lardner Carmody, Religious Studies
Co-author, Serene Compassion: A Christian Appreciation
of Buddhism (1996)
- "Lonergan's Transcendental Precepts
and the Foundations of Christian Feminist Ethics," in Lonergan
and Feminism (1994)
- Christian Ethics: An Introduction
through History and Current Issues (1993)
- The Future
of Prophetic Christianity: Essays in Honor of Robert McAfee
Brown (1993); Virtuous Woman: Reflections on Christian
Feminist Ethics (1992)
- "Authority & Responsibility
in the Classroom," in Bulletin of the Council for the
Societies Studying Religion (1990)
- Peace and Justice
in the Scriptures of the World Religions (1988)
to Live Well: Ethics in the World Religions (1987).
Paul Crowley, Religious Studies
- ed. Robert McAfee Brown: Spiritual and Prophetic Writings, with Introduction by Paul Crowley and Foreward by Judith Dunbar. Orbis, 2013.
David DeCosse, Director of Campus
Ethics Programs, Ethics Center, and Religious Studies
- Review of "Terrorism, Ticking Time Bombs, and Torture: A Philosophical Analysis" by Fritz Allhoff in in the Criminal Justice Ethics, December 2013.
- "Imbalance Between Francis, U.S. Bishops Undermines Religious Liberty Campaign," National Catholic Reporter, October 23, 2103.
- Catholicism, Inequality, Freedom: An Essay in Theological Ethics, University of Notre Dame Press, forthcoming.
- "The Danish Cartoons Reconsidered: Catholic Social Teaching
and the Contemporary Challenge of Free Speech," Theological
Studies, March 2010, Vol. 71, No. 1: pp. 101-32.
of the Press and Catholic Social Thought: Reflections on the
Sexual Abuse Scandal in the U.S. Catholic Church," Theological
Studies, December 2007
- Review: "Deporting Our Souls: Values,
Morality, and Immigration Policy" by Bill Ong Hing (Cambridge
University Press, 2006), Theological Studies, December 2007
- "Authority, Lies, and War," Theological Studies
Church, the Political Community, and the Compendium," America
- A book review essay on "The Just War Revisited"
by Oliver O'Donovan (Cambridge University Press, 2003) and "Arguing
About War" by Michael Walzer (Yale University Press, 2004)
in Theological Studies, forthcoming
- "Rahner's Ethics
and the Pacific Rim," in Karl Rahner at the Pacific
Rim: The Encounter of Spiritualities, Religions, and Cultures,
Paul Cowley, S.J., ed., (Sheed & Ward, forthcoming)
of The Bonds of Freedom: Feminist Theology and Christian
Realism by Rebekah L. Miles, Journal of the College Theology
Society (Spring 2004)
- "Authority, Democracy, and the Iraq
War," The Heythrop Journal: A Quarterly Review of Philosophy
and Theology, forthcoming.
Warner, Keith Douglass, OFM Center for Science, Technology, and Society
- "Franciscan Environmental Ethics: Imagining Creation as a Community of Care, Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, 31:1, 2011
- "Retrieving St. Francis: Tradition and Innovation for Our Ecological Vocation." in Green Discipleship: Catholic Theological Ethics and the Environment, edited by Tobias Winright, 114-127. Winona, Minnesota: Anselm Academic, 2011
Marilyn Edelstein, English
- "My Word: Empathy is important in making judgments,"
The Oakland Tribune (August 2009)
Politics, and Ethics in the Postmodern Feminist Work of bell
hooks and Julia Kristeva. Critical Perspectives on bell
hooks. Ed. Maria del Guadalupe Davidson and George Yancy. New
York: Routledge, 2009. 186-201
Lolita in a Course on Ethics and Literature." Approaches
to Teaching Lolita. Ed. Zoran Kuzmanovich and Galya Diment.
New York: Modern Language Association Publications, 2008. 43-48.
Mother's Legacy: Trying to Make a Difference through Teaching
and Research," explore 3/3 (2000)
and Contemporary American Literature: Revisiting the Controversy
over John Gardners On Moral Fiction," Pacific
Coast Philology 31 (1996)
- "Toward a Feminist Postmodern
Polethique: Kristeva on Ethics and Politics," in K. Oliver,
ed., Ethics, Politics, and Difference in Julia Kristevas
- "Ethics, Education, and Political Correctness,"
Issues in Ethics 5/2 (1992).
Marilyn Fernandez, Anthropology and Sociology
- "My Journey into the World of Justice Research," explore
- Co-author of "Ecological Analysis of Program
Impact: A Site Analysis of Programs for Pregnant and Parenting
Adolescents in Illinois," Journal of Applied Sociology
- Co-author of "Dominant and Minority Couples:
An Exploratory Analysis of Strategies for Family Economic Well-Being,"
in Dana Vannoy and Paula Dubeck, eds., Issues for Integrating
Work and Family in the 21st Century (1998)
Indian Americans in the Bay Area and the Glass Ceiling,"
Sociological Perspectives 41/1 (1998)
Violence by Extended Family Members in India: Interplay of Gender
and Generation," Journal of Interpersonal Violence 12/3
- Co-author of "Dependency and Severity of Abuse:
Impact on Women's Persistence in Utilizing the Court System
as Protection Against Domestic Violence," Women &
Criminal Justice 9/1 (1997)
- Co-author of "Liberation
of Asian American Women: An Uncertain Quest," International
Journal of Sociology of the Family 24 (1994)
of "Ethnicity and Effects of Age Gap Between Unmarried
Adolescent Mothers and Partners," Journal of Adolescent
Research 8/4 (1993)
- Co-author of "Alcohol Use, Abuse,
and Dependency in Shanghai," in John Helzer and Glorisa
Canino, eds., Alcoholism in North America, Europe, and Asia
- "Suicide among Asian American Youth," in Marcia
Feinleib, ed., Report on the Prevention and Intervention
of Youth Suicide, Volume III (1989).
Karen Fox, Marketing
- Co-author of Social Marketing for Noncommercial Organizations
- "The Use of Social Marketing to Encourage Organ
Donation," in James Shanteau and Richard Harris, eds.,
Organ Donation and Transplantation (1990)
Rehydration Therapy and Contraceptive Social Marketing in Egypt,"
Studies in Family Planning (1988)
- "The Impact of
Social Marketing on Mass Health Promotion Campaigns," in
Scott Smith and M. Venkatesan, eds., Advances in Health Care
Sara Garcia, Education
" Empowering Teacher as Environmentally Literate:
Ethical Considerations." Explore Jesuit magazine of higher education,
- Educacion Ecologica: praxis
interdisciplinaria en torno a la sequia en Chihuahua, (Ecological
Education: Reflection and Praxis in the Context of Drought in
Chihuahua) Instituto de Ecologia, A.C. September 2005.
- "Spanish-English or English-Spanish
in California: The Dialectics of Language in Sociocultural Historical
Context," Oxford University Round Table Forum on Public Policy,
electronic journal, http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/archivespring08/garcia.pdf, 2005
- "Delgadina en la Frontera." Ventana Abierta,
Inmigrantes Revista Latina de Literatura, Arte y Cultura.Vol.
VI, No. 22 Primavera. Centro de Estudios Chicanos de la Universidad
de California en Santa Barbara, 2007
- Co-author with Reyes V., & Ochoa Tovar, P. "Un Proyecto de
Educacion Ambiental en Torno a la Sequia en Chihuahua: Proceso,
Resultados y Aplicaciones Ulteriores" (An Environmental Education
Project in the Context of Drought in Chihuahua: Process, Results
and Ulterior Applications). Memorias en Extenso VI Congreso
Internacional y XII Nacional de Ciencas Ambientales. Ciudad
de Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico, 2007
- " Bilingualism, Cultural Transmutation, and Fields of
Coexistence: California's Spanish Language Legacy," Oxford University
Round Table Forum on Public Policy, electronic journal, http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/archivespring06/garcia.pdf, 2006
- "El auge de la literatura infantil bilingue:
consideraciones criticas de accion participativa." (The surge
of childrens bilingual literature: critical perspectives
of participatory action).Ventana Abierta Revista Latina, Latinos/as
Siglo XXI. Volumen III, Numero 9, 2000
A Significant Variant in Romance to Popular Song in the U.S.
Mexico Border," Kommisssion fur Volksdichtung(SIEF). Edited by
Eckhard John and Barbara Boock. The German Folksong Archive
Deutsches Volksliedarchiv (DVA). Freiberg Germany. 2009
- "Delgadina: un imaginario colectivo sin fronteras" (Delgadina:
a collective imaginary without borders). Cien Anos de Lealtad
en honor a Luis Leal (One Hundred Years of Loyalty in Honor
of Luis Leal) Vol. I. Eds. Sara Poot Herrera, Francisco Lomeli
and Maria Herrera-Sobek. University of California UC Mexicanistas,
Universitdad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Instituto Tecnologico
de Monterrey, Un9iversidad del Claustro de Sor Juana, Mexico
- "Education and Ambiguous Borders in
Mexican Corridos Thriving in the United States," Bridging the
Cultural Divide: Our Common Ballad Heritage. Edited by Herausgegeben
von, Sigrid Rieuwerts and Helga Stein. Georg Olms Verlag Publications,
Hildesheim, Zurich, New York. ed., Educacion Ecologica: Praxis
Interdisciplinaria en Torno a la Sequia en Chihuahua (Jalapa
Veracruz, Mexico: Instituto de Ecologia, 2000).
Eric Goldman Law
The Regulation of Reputational Information," in THE NEXT DIGITAL DECADE: ESSAYS ON THE FUTURE OF THE INTERNET, Berin Szoka, Adam Marcus, eds., TechFreedom, Washington, D.C., 2010 Santa Clara Univ. Legal Studies Research Paper No. 1754628. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1754628
Kirk O. Hanson, Executive Director, Markkula Center
for Applied Ethics, and business
The Case of Nutritional Foods, International Food
and Agribusiness Management Review, http://ifama.org/dispatch.asp?page=ifamr_journal,
(2008). The case will be used in the Student Case Competition
of the International Food and Agribusiness Management Association.
- The Accountable Corporation, four volumes (Praeger, 2006).
Timothy Healy, Electrical Engineering
"Assessment of Proposed Technologies," American Society
of Electrical Engineers Conference, Albuquerque, NM, June 2001
- "After Dolly," Issues in Ethics 8/3 (1997)
- "The Bewitching Miss Julia," Issues in Ethics
Francisco Jimenez, Modern Languages
- "An essay on Home" in Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives, John
Edwards, ed. (HarperCollins, 2006)
- Breaking Through (2001)
- The Christmas Gift/El Regalo de Navidad (2000)
- The Circuit: Stories from the Life of
a Migrant Child (1997)
- Edited Poverty and Social Justice:
Critical Perspectives (1987).
Stephen Johnson, Director, Character Education, Ethics Center
"Character-based Literacy," keynote talk, Juvenile
Court Community School Administrators of California Convention,
Nov. 16, 2001
- "Building a Positive School Climate,"
weeklong presentation for the Juneau, Alaska, public school
system, Nov. 19-23, 2001
- Dozens of articles on character-based
literacy programs, at http://www.scu.edu/publications/cblp/
- "An Education in Ethics," Issues in Ethics
Diane Jonte-Pace,Religious Studies
Explore magazine, September 2008. Jonte-Pace, Diane, "Walking
Different Pathways: Coming to Know Our Own Journey Better: The
'Core Vision' of GC35."
- Mourning Religion, University of
Virginia Press, 2008 edited by Parsons, William, Diane Jonte-Pace,
and Susan Henking.
- "Tracking the Emotion in the Stone: An
Essay in Psychoanalysis and Architecture," The Annual of
Psychoanalysis 1 (2006).
- "Psychoanalysis, Colonialism, and
Modernity," Religious Studies Review 31: 1 (January 2006).
Impact of Womens Studies on the Psychology of Religion:
Feminist Critique, Gender Analysis, and the Inclusion of Women,",
Methodology in Religious Studies: The Interface with Women's
Studies, Sharma ed. (SUNY, 2002)
- Speaking the Unspeakable:
Religion, Misogyny, and the Uncanny Mother in Freuds Cultural
- Co-editor of Mapping Religion and Psychological
Studies (2001), and author of "Analysts, Critics, and
Inclusivists: Feminist Voices in the Psychology of Religion"
in that anthology
- "'Legitimation of Hatred or Inversion
into Love: Religion in Kristeva's Re-Reading of Freud,"
Research in the Social Scientific Study of Religion 10
- "In Defense of an Unfriendly Freud: Psychoanalysis,
Feminism, and Theology," Pastoral Psychology 47/3
- "New Directions in Feminist Psychology of Religion:
An Introduction," Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion,
- "Julia Kristeva and the Psychoanalytic Study
of Religion: Rethinking Freud's Cultural Texts," in Janet
Jacobs and Donald Capps, eds., Religion, Society, and Psychoanalysis:
Readings in Contemporary Theory (1997)
- "At Home in
the Uncanny: Freudian Representations of Death, Mothers, and
the Afterlife," Journal of the American Academy of Religion
- "The Quest for the Religious Freud: Faith,
Morality, and Gender in Psychoanalysis," Annals of Scholarship
Philip Kain, Philosophy
"Hegel's Critique of Kantian Practical Reason," Canadian
Journal of Philosophy 28 (1998)
- "Nietzschean Genealogy
and Hegelian History in the Genealogy of Morals," Canadian
Journal of Philosophy 26 (1996)
- "Rousseau, the General
Will, and Individual Liberty," History of Philosophy
Quarterly 7 (1990)
- Marx and Ethics (1988)
Justice, and the Dialectic Method," Journal of the History
of Philosophy 24 (1986)
- "The Young Marx and Kantian
Ethics," Studies in Soviet Thought 31 (1986)
and the Abolition of Morality," Journal of Value Inquiry
Michael Kevane, Economics
"Sweatshops: Ethical Aspects,
in Sweatshops, Sumathi Reddy, ed. (Hyderabad: The Institute
of Chartered Financial Analysts of India University Press, 2006)
- Freedom, Servitude and Voluntary Contracts, in Freedom:
The Ethics and Economics of Slave Redemption, Martin Bunzl and
K. Anthony Appiah, eds. (Princeton University Press, 2007
in the Sudan Studies Association Newsletter of Darfur:
The Ambiguous Genocide by Gerard Prunier, 24:1 (October
- Darfur: A Short History of a Long War by Alex
de Waal and Julie Flint, 24:2 (February 2006)
About Darfur," a film by Taghreed ElSahnhouri, 24:2 (February
2006). Women and Development in Africa: How Gender Works (Boulder,
CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2004).
Christopher Kulp, Philosophy
"Demonizing Our Opponents," Issues in Ethics
Scott LaBarge, Classics and Philosophy
- "Socrates and
Moral Expertise," Ethics Expertise: History, Contemporary
Perspectives, and Applications, Lisa Rasmussen, ed. (Springer
Dale Larson, Counseling Psychology
With J.B. Engelhardt, K.P.
McClive-Reed, R.W. Toseland, T.L. Smith, and D.R. Tobin, "Effects
of a Program for Coordinated Care of Advanced Illness on Patients,
Surrogates, and Healthcare Costs: A Randomized Trial,"
American Journal of Managed Care 12, (2006).
Legacy: More Lessons," Death Studies 29 (2005).Senior editor
and contributing author Finding Our Way: Living With Dying
- Co-author "Interdisciplinary Approaches to
Assisting With End-of-life Care and Decision Making," American
Behavioral Scientist, 46 (2002)
- "End-of-Life Conversations:
Evolving Practice and Theory," JAMA 284 (2000)
- "Anticipatory Mourning: Challenges for Professional and
Volunteer Caregivers," in T. A. Rando, ed., Clinical
Dimensions of Anticipatory Mourning (2000)
- The Helper's
Journey: Working with People Facing Grief, Loss, and Life-Threatening
- "Self-Concealment: Implications for
Stress and Empathy in Oncology Care," Journal of Psychosocial
Oncology 11 (1993)
- "The Challenge of Caring in Oncology
Nursing," Oncology Nursing Forum 19 (1992)
Secrets: Invisible Stressors in Hospice Work," American
Journal of Hospice Care 2 (1985).
Margaret R. McLean, Bioethics Director, Ethics Center and Religious Studies
To Boldly Go: Ethical Considerations for Space Exploration,
reprinted by the Educational Testing Service in an
- Religion, Ethics, and the Human Genome
Project, in Science, Religion, and Society: An Encyclopedia
of History, Culture, and Controversy, Arri Eisen and Gary Laderman,
eds. (M. E. Sharpe, 2007)
- Reviews of Compassionate Respect
by Margaret A. Farley and Crowned with Glory and Honor
by Christopher D. Marshall, Religious Studies Review 30: 2,3
(April, July 2004)
- "Heredity," "Behavioral Genetics,"
and "Behavioral Research," Religion in Geschichte
und Gegenwart 4 (forthcoming)
- Review of Catholic Health
Care Ethics: A Manual for Ethics Committees, ed. by Peter
Cataldo and Albert S. Moraczeweski in Religious Studies Review
29:3 (July 2003)
- "Biotech Ethics Must Be Supported With
Facts," Silicon Valley Biz Ink (Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2003)
- "The Ethical Meets the Political," BioProcess International, 1:4, (April 2003)
- "What's in a Name? 'Nuclear Transplantation'
and the Ethics of Stem Cell Research," and "Seeing
Double: The Ethics of Human Cloning," Hastings Law Journal, 53 (2002)
- "Red Light, Green Light: The California Cloning
and Stem Cell Laws," Hastings Center Report (Nov.-Dec.
- Co-author of "Genetically Modified Foods,"
Business and Professional Ethics Journal (forthcoming)
- "Stem Cells: Shaping the Future in Public Policy,"
in Suzanne Holland et al., eds., The Human Embryonic Stem
Cell Debate: Science, Ethics and Public Policy (2001); "Genetics,"
in Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart (2001)
Ado about Cloning in the Public Square," University
of Toledo Law Review 32/3 (2001)
- "A Step into the
Private Lives of Stem Cells," Journal of Lutheran Ethics,
- "What Will We Face in the Coming Genetic
Century?" San Jose Mercury News, 14 January 1999
- "When What We Know Outstrips What We Can Do," Issues
in Ethics 9/2 (1998), 6-10
- "Just Because We Can, Should
We?" San Jose Mercury News, 18 January 1998
the Ultimate Questions," Issues in Ethics 8/1 (1997);
"A Moral World Red in Tooth and Claw,"
CTNS Bulletin 11 (1991).
Straussophobia: Defending Leo Strauss and Straussians against
Shadia Drury and Other Accusers (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books,
2009). (The seeds for this book were partially cultivated by
the author's involvement in the 1998-99 Ethics Center seminar
on affirmative action.)
- "Adam Smith's Invisible Hands,"
Journal Watch, 1:3 (December, 2004)
Philosophy and the Religious Issue: From the Ancient Regime
to Modern Capitalism," in William Kristol and Mark Blitz,
eds., Educating the Prince: Essays in Honor of Harvey Mansfield
- "The Ethics of Impeachment," San Jose Mercury
News, 20 December 1998
- "Prince versus Prophet: Machiavellianism
in Frank Herberts Dune Epic," in D. Hassler and C.
Wilcox, eds., Political Science Fiction (1997)
Priests, and Princes: Adam Smiths Emancipation of Economics
from Politics and Religion (1993)
- "Crimes and Controversies:
Nihilism from Machiavelli to Woody Allen," Literature
& Film Quarterly 19/2 (1991)
- "Invisible Hand,
Invisible Death: Adam Smith on War and Socioeconomic Development,"
Journal of Political/Military Sociology 17 (1989).
Dennis Moberg, Management
"The Organizational Context of Moral Courage," in Moral Courage in Organizations: Doing the Right Thing at Work, edited by Debra Comer and Gina Vega, M. E. Sharpe, 2011
- Co-author with L. P., Werhane, P.
H., and Kelly, S. "Mental models that impede business'
role in poverty alleviation." Paper presented at the Society
for Business Ethics, Chicago, August 9, 2009. Best paper award.
- Co-author with Werhane,
P. H., Hartman, L. P., Englehardt, E. and Pritchard,
M. "Social constructivism, mental models, and problems
of obedience." European Business Ethics Network, Athens, September
- Co-author with Werhane, P. H., Kelly, S., Hartman, L.
P. Poverty alleviation through profitable
partnerships. New York: Taylor & Francis, 2010.
- "Ethics Blind Spots in Organizations: How Systematic Errors
in Person Perception Undermine Moral Agency," Organization
Studies, 27:3 (2006).
- "Managers as Judges in Employee
Disputes: An Occassion for Moral Imagination," Business
Ethics Quarterly 13:4 (2003)
- Coeditor and contributing
author, The Next Phase of Business Ethics: Integrating Psychology
and Ethics, (Elsevier Science, 2002)
- With Martin
Calkins, S.J., "Reflection in Business Ethics: Insights
from St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises," Journal of
Business Ethics, 33
- "The Aging Workforce: Prospects
for Ethical Behavior in Organizations," Business and
- Co-author of "Reflection in Business Ethics: Insights from
St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises," Journal of Business
Ethics 33/3 (2001)
- "Time Pressure and Ethical Decision
Making," Business and Professional Ethics Journal
- Co-author of "The Development of Moral Imagination,"
Business Ethics Quarterly 10 (2000)
- "Role Models
and Moral Exemplars," Business Ethics Quarterly
- "The Big Five and Organizational Virtue,"
Business Ethics Quarterly 9 (1999)
Manipulation: Its Nature and Moral Limits," in M. Schminke,
ed., Managerial Ethics (1998)
and Conscientiousness as Managerial Virtues," Business
& Professional Ethics Journal 16/1-3 (1997-98)
Employee Vice," Business Ethics Quarterly 7 (1997).
Lawrence Nelson, Philosophy and Women and Gender Studies
J. Faranoff, "Ethical Issues in the Perinatal Period," Chapter 20 in Care of the High Risk Neonate, edited by A. Faranoff, 6th edition, Elsevier/Saunders (2013), 535-542 (revised version).
- With J. Brinkmann, R. Sims, "Business Ethics Across the Curriculum?" Journal of Business Ethics Education, vol. 8, January 2011, 83-104.
- With B. Ashby, "Rethinking the Ethics of Physician Participation in Lethal Injection Execution," Hastings Center Report, vol. 41, #3, May-June 2011, 28-37.
- `If These Walls Could Talk' and Abortion," in The Picture of Health: Medical Ethics at the Movies, Oxford University Press, 2011, 336-340.
- "Of Persons and Prenatal Humans: Why the
Constitution Is Not Silent on Abortion." Lewis and Clark Law
Review, vol. 13, #1, Spring 2009, 155-207.
- "United States Law and Managing the Terminally Ill Fetus and
Newborn." Seminars in Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 5, 2008,
- "Confronting Deep Moral Disagreement: The President's
Council on Bioethics, Moral Status, and Human Embryos,"
The American Journal of Bioethics 5:6 (December 2005)
There an Indication for Ethics Evidence? An Argument for the
Admissibility of Some Expert Bioethics Testimony," The
Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 33:2 (2005)
Diagnosis," in A Textbook of Perinatal Medicine,
A. Kurjak, ed., 2005 edition (CRC Press-Parthenon Publishers,
- "Wendland and Forgoing Life-Sustaining Treatment
for the Incompetent," The Health Lawyer, 14:3 (April 2002)
- Co-author of "Respecting What We Destroy: Reflections on
Human Embryo Research," Hastings Center Report (January-February
- "Ethical Issues in the Perinatal Period,"
in Care of the High Risk Neonate, edited by M. Klaus and
A. Faranoff, 5th edition (2000)
- Co-author of "Michael
Martin and Robert Wendland: Beyond the Vegetative State,"
The Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy 15
- Co-author of "Forgoing Medically Provided Nutrition
and Hydration in Pediatric Patients," Journal of Law,
Medicine & Ethics 23/1 (1995)
- "Medical Futility
and the Clinician's Conscience," in R. Misbin, et al.,
eds., Health Care Crisis? The Search for Answers (1995)
- Co-author of "Ethics and the Provision of Futile, Harmful,
or Burdensome Treatment to Children," Critical Care
Medicine 20/3 (1992)
- Co-author of "Advocacy, Ethics,
and the Law," in M. Jessup, ed., Drug Dependency in
Pregnancy: Managing Withdrawal (1992)
- Co-author of "Legal
Advice, Moral Paralysis, and the Death of Samuel Linares,"
Law, Medicine & Health Care 17/4 (1989)
Ethics, and Advance Directives Regarding the Medical Care of
AIDS Patients," in E. Juengst and B. Koenig, eds., The
Meaning of AIDS (1989)
- Co-author of "Compelled Medical
Treatment of Pregnant Women: Life, Liberty and Law in Conflict,"
JAMA 259 (1988).
David Palmer, Management
"Schumpeter and Reconciling Divisive Responses to the Bishops
Letter," Journal of Business Ethics, November 1988
- Co-author of "Issues Management and Ethics," Journal
of Business Ethics, March 1988.
Thomas Plante, Psychology
Goodness." In T. G. Plante (Ed.). Religion, Spirituality, and Positive Psychology: Understanding the Psychological Fruits of Faith, pp. 79-90. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO. (2012).
- "The 2005 Vatican instruction on homosexuality in seminaries: Are we in a "don't ask, don't tell" world on this topic?" Human Development, 33 (3), 32-36. with McChesney, K. (Eds.). (2011).
- Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: A Decade of Crisis, 2002-2012. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO. ISBN: 978-0-313-39387-7. (2011).
- "Psychological screening of clergy applicants: Keeping those who might harm children and others out of ministry." In T. G. Plante & K. McChesney (Eds.). Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: A Decade of Crisis, 2002-2012, pp. 195-203. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO. Plante, T. G., & McChesney, K. (2011).
- "Tragedy and travesty: The sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy." In T. G. Plante & K. McChesney (Eds.). Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: A Decade of Crisis, 2002-2012, pp. 3-8. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO.
- Plante, T.G. "Do the Right Thing" blog entry. Do the Right Thing. February 25, 2011.http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/do-the-right-thing Plante,T.G. (2009).
- Spiritual Practices in Psychotherapy: Thirteen
Tools for Enhancing Psychological Health. Washington , DC :
American Psychological Association. Plante, T.G., Lackey, K.,
& Hwang, J. (2009).
- "The impact of immersion trips on development
of compassion among college students," Journal of Experiential
Education, 32, 28-43. (2009).
- "A commentary on religious
conflicts and a call for a focus on the best the traditions
have to offer." Pastoral Psychology, 58, 73-78. (2008).
- " What do the spiritual and religious traditions offer
the practicing psychologist?" Pastoral Psychology, 56, 429-444.
with Hwang, J.Y.,& Lackey, K. (2008).
- "The development
of the Santa Clara Brief Compassion Scale: An abbreviation of
Sprecher and Fehr’s Compassionate Love Scale." Pastoral Psychology, 56, 421-428. (2008).
- "Can we teach college students
to be more compassionate?" Human Development, 29, 36-40. (2008).
- With F.
Barry, "Homosexual Candidates, the Seminary and the Priesthood,"The
Priest 62 (2006).
- "Ethics for Dummies: Keeping the
Ethics Code Simple," The California Psychologist,
37, 23-24 (2004)
- "Ethics Made Simple: Using the RRICC
Model of Personal and Professional Ethics," The Clinical
Psychologist, 57, 28-30 (2004)
- "After the Earthquake,"
(on clergy sexual abuse) America 190:1 (Jan. 5, 2004)
- "Priests Behaving Badly: What Do We Know About Priest Sex
Offenders?" Journal of Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity
- "The Sexual Abuse Crisis in the Roman Catholic
Church,"The California Psychologist, 35, 26-27 (2002)
- Do the Right Thing: Living Ethically in an Unethical World
(Oakland, CA: New Harbinger, 2004)
- Sin against the Innocents:
Sexual Abuse by Priests and the Role of the Catholic Church
(Westport, CT: Greenwood, 2004)
- "Won't you be my neighbor?
Mr. Rogers as an Ethical Model," Clio's Psyche: Understanding
the 'Why' of Culture, Current Events, History, and Society,
- "Mirror Me: Is This the Message Graduate Students
in Clinical Psychology Get From Their Graduate School Faculty?"
The Clinical Psychologist, 56, 10-13.
Justice in the Curriculum: Integrating Service-Learning and
Ethical Decision Making," Blueprint for Social Justice
- "Ethical Standards in Contemporary Clinical
Psychology," in his book, Contemporary Clinical Psychology
- "Ten Strategies for Psychological Trainees and
Practicing Psychologists Interested in Avoiding Ethical and
Legal Perils," Psychotherapy 36 (1999)
- Edited and
authored two chapters in Bless Me Father for I Have Sinned:
Perspectives on Sexual Abuse Committed by Roman Catholic Priests
- "Teaching Psychology Ethics to Undergraduates,"
Teaching of Psychology 25 (1998)
- Co-authored "Attitudes
Concerning Professional Issues Impacting Psychotherapy Practice
among Members of the American Board of Professional Psychology,"
Psychotherapy 35 (1998)
- "Training Child Clinical
Predoctoral Interns and Postdoctoral Fellows in Ethics and Professional
Issues: An Experiential Model," Professional Psychology:
Research and Practice 26 (1995).
Barry Posner, Business
"Another Look at the Impact of Personal and Organizational Values Congruency." Journal of Business Ethics, 2010, 97 (4):535-541
- " Values and the American Manager: A Three-Decade Perspective." Journal of Business Ethics, 2010, 91(4):457-465
- The Leadership Challenge, third edition, 2003
- "What Does It Mean to Act with Integrity," Teaching
- Co-author of "Managerial
Values Across Cultures: Australia, Hong Kong and the U.S.,"
Asia-Pacific Journal of Management 14 (1997)
of "The Values of Business and Federal Government Executives:
More Different Than Alike," Public Personnel Management
- Co-author of "A Cross-Cultural Investigation
of the Shared Values Relationship" International Journal
of Value-Based Management 11/4 (1995)
- Co-author of "Demographic
Characteristics and Shared Values" International Journal
of Value-Based Management 5/1 (1992)
- Co-author of "Values
Congruence and Differences between the Interplay of Personal
and Organizational Value Systems," Journal of Business
Ethics 12 (1992)
- Co-author of "Ethical Leaders: An
Essay About Being in Love," Journal of Business Ethics
- Co-author of "The Values of American Managers:
Then and Now," Management Review 81/2 (1992)
of Managerial Values in Perspective (1983).
William Prior, Philosophy
"The Virtue of Generosity," Explore (Fall 2005).
and Virtue," Journal of Value Enquiry 35/3 (2001)
- "'We Aren't Here to Do the Decent Thing': Saving Private
Ryan and the Morality of War," Parameters, Autumn
- "Teaching Compassion Philosophically," explore
- Co-author of "Thomson on the Moral Specification
of Rights," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
- Virtue and Knowledge: An Introduction to Ancient
Greek Ethics (1991)
- "Can Virtue be Taught?" Laetaberis:
The Journal of the California Classical Association 8 (1990-91)
- Editor of "Reason and Moral Judgment," Logos
- Editor of "Manufactured Motherhood: The Ethics
of the New Reproductive Techniques," Logos 9 (1988)
- "Compassion: A Critique of Moral Rationalism," Philosophy
& Theology 2 (1987)
- "Abortion and the Good Samaritan,"
Logos 3 (1982).
Elizabeth Radcliffe, Philosophy
"Moral Sense Theory" and "Sentimentalism,"
in Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (1999)
(Ethics)," in E. Barbarell and D. Garrett, eds., Encyclopedia
of Empiricism (1997)
- "Kantian Tunes on a Humean Instrument:
Why Hume Is Not Really a Skeptic about Practical Reasoning,"
Canadian Journal of Philosophy 27 (1997)
- "How Does
the Humean Sense of Duty Motivate?" Journal of the History
of Philosophy 34 (1996)
- "Hume on Passion, Pleasure,
and the Reasonableness of Ends," Southwest Philosophy
Review 10 (1994)
- "Hume on Motivating Sentiments, the
General Point of View, and the Inculcation of Morality,"
Hume Studies 20 (1994)
- "Hutchesons Perceptual
and Moral Subjectivism," History of Philosophy Quarterly
Chad Raphael, Communication
- "Portrayals of Information and
Communication Technology on World Wide Web Sites for Girls,"
The Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 11:3 (May
2006). The article was co-authored with former student Kathleen
M. Lynn and current students Jessica Baldwin-Philippi and Kristen
- Investigated Reporting: Muckrakers, Regulators, and the
Struggle Over Television Documentary (University of Illinois
- "The political-economic origins of Reali-TV,"
S. Murray and L. Ouel-lette, eds., Reality TV: The Re-making
of Television Culture (New York: New York University Press,
- With Tokunaga, L., and Wai, C., "Who is the real
target? Media response to controversial investigative reporting
on corporations," Journalism Studies 5:2 (2004)
- Co-author "High Tech Goes Green," Yes! A Journal
of Positive Futures (Spring 2003)
- Co-author "Bridging
the Gender Gap in Computing: An Integrative Approach to Content
Design for Girls," Journal of Educational Computing
- "The Web," in Richard Maxwell,
ed., Culture Works: Essays on the Political Economy of Culture
- "The FCC's Broadcast News Distortion Rules: Regulation
by Drooping Eyelid," Communication Law and Policy
- "Utopia Out of Place: Studs' Place, Popular Front
Culture, and the Blacklist in Early Chicago Television,"
Quarterly Review of Film and Video 16 (1999).
Margaret Russell, Law
"My Word: Empathy is important in making judgments,"
The Oakland Tribune (August 2009)
- "Reopening the Emmett
Till Case: Challenges for Critical Race Practice," Fordham
Law Review, April, 2005
- "Foreword: A New Journal of
Race and Poverty Law," 1 Hastings Race and Poverty Law
Journal (Fall 2003)
- "Cleansing Moments and Retrospective
Justice," Michigan Law Review (2003)
on Post 9/11 Civil Liberties Developments," Los Angeles
Daily Journal (October 2002)
- "McLaurin's Seat: The
Need for Racial Inclusion in Legal Education, " in Fordham
Law Review (March 2002)
- "African American Women and
Reproductive Rights," Historical and Multicultural Encyclopedia
of Reproductive Rights, ed. Judith Baer (Greenwood 2002).
Beth Van Schaak, Law
"Negotiating at the Interface of Power & Law: The Crime of Aggression" (August 30, 2010). Santa Clara Univ. Legal Studies Research Paper No. 10-09. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, 2011. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1668661.
- "The Crime of Aggression and Humanitarian Intervention on Behalf of Women" (January 25, 2011). International Criminal Law Review, Vol. 3, 2011. Santa Clara University Legal Studies Research Paper No. 1-11. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1747867.
- "'The Grass that Gets Trampled When Elephants Fight': Will the Codification of the Crime of Aggression Protect Women?" (September 13, 2010). Santa Clara Univ. Legal Studies Research Paper No. 10-10. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1676506.
Hersh Shefrin, Finance
Co-author of "On Financial Ethics," Financial Management,
- Co-author of "Ethics, Fairness and Efficiency
in Financial Markets," Financial Analysts Journal,
- Co-author of Fairness, Efficiency,
and the Regulation of Financial Markets (1992)
of "Ex-Post Efficiency and Ex-Post Welfare: Some Fundamental
Considerations," Economica, 55 (1988)
of "Welfare Losses Arising from Increased Public Information
and/or the Opening of New Security Markets," in B. Stigum
and F. Wenstop, eds., Foundations of Utility and Risk Theory
With Applications (1983).
William Sundstrom, Economics
Co-author of "The Emergence, Persistence, and Recent Widening
of the Racial Unemployment Gap," Industrial and Labor
Relations Review 52 (1999)
- The Geography of Wage
Discrimination in the Pre-Civil Rights South, Journal
of Economic History 67:2 (June 2007), pp. 410-44
Income Gap," Issues in Ethics 9 (1998)
of "The Racial Unemployment Gap in Long-Run Perspective,"
American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 87 (1997)
- "Explaining the Racial Unemployment Gap: Race, Region,
and the Employment Status of Men, 1940," Industrial
and Labor Relations Review 50 (1997)
- "Down or Out:
Changes in the Employment and Occupational Status of Urban Black
Men During the Great Depression," Research in Economic
History 16 (1996)
- "The Color Line: Racial Norms and
Discrimination in Urban Labor Markets, 1910-1950," Journal
of Economic History 54 (1994)
- "Half a Career: Discrimination
and Railroad Internal Labor Markets," Industrial Relations
Jiri Toman, Law
- With Dietrich Schindler, eds., The Laws of Armed Conflicts,
4th Revised Edition (Brill Academic Publishers, 2004)
Protection of Cultural Property in The Event of Armed Conflict
- "Quasi-Legal Standards and Guidelines for Protecting
Human Rights," in H. Hannum, ed., Guide to International
Human Rights Practice, 2nd ed. (1992)
- Co-editor of The
Laws of Armed Conflicts. A Collection of Conventions, Resolutions
and Other Documents, 3rd ed. (1988)
- "Quasi-Legal Standards
and Guidelines for Protecting the Human Rights of Detained Persons,"
in H. Hannum, ed., Guide to International Human Rights Practice
- Co-editor of Bibliography of International Humanitarian
Law Applicable in Armed Conflicts (1980)
- Index of the
Geneva Conventions for the Protection of War Victims of 12 August
Gerald Uelmen, Law
- "Catholic Jurors and the Death Penalty,"
Journal of Catholic Legal Studies 44 (2005).
Fire With Fire: A Reflection on the Ethics of Clarence Darrow,"
Symposium on Legal Ethics in the Fordham Law Review (March,
- "Cleaning Up Judicial Elections," California
Lawyer 21/4 (2001)
- "Justice in the Law School Curriculum,"
explore 3/1 (1999)
- "Leaks, Gags and Shields: Taking
Responsibility," 37 Santa Clara Law Review 943 (1997)
- "The Five Hardest Lessons of the O.J. Trial," Issues
in Ethics 7/1 (1996)
- "Justice Thurgood Marshall and
the Death Penalty: A Former Criminal Defense Lawyer on the Supreme
Court," Arizona State Law Journal 26/2 (1994)
Price of Free Speech: Campus Hate-Speech Codes," Issues
in Ethics 5/2 (1992)
- "Mortal Decisions: Who Decides?"
Issues in Ethics 4/2 (1991)
- "Disqualification of
Judges for Campaign Support or Opposition," 3 Georgia
Journal of Legal Ethics 419 (1990)
- "Converting Retained
Lawyers Into Appointed Lawyers: The Ethical and Tactical Implications,"
27 Santa Clara Law Review 1 (1987)
- California Death
Penalty Laws and the California Supreme Court: A Ten Year Perspective
Shannon Vallor, Philosophy
"Flourishing on Facebook: Virtue Friendship and New Social Media." Ethics and Information Technology, 14(3)
(2012), pp. 185-199.
- "Social Networking and Ethics." In Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. E. Zalta, Fall 2012 edition. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2012/entries/ethics-social-networking.
- "New Social Media and the Virtues." In The Good Life in a Technological Age, eds. P. Brey, A. Briggle and E.
Spence. (London: Routledge, 2012), pp. 193-202.
- "Carebots and Caregivers: Sustaining the Ethical Ideal of Care in the 21st Century." Philosophy & Technology 24:3 (2011), pp. 251-268.
- "Knowing What to Wish For: Human Enhancement Technology, Dignity and Virtue." Techné: Research in
Philosophy and Technology 15:2 (2011), pp. 82-100.
- "Flourishing on Facebook: Virtue Friendship and New Social Media." Ethics and Information Technology, (2011), DOI 10.1007/s10676-010-9262-2. Published online Jan 8 2011, print edition forthcoming
- "Social Networking Technology and the Virtues." Ethics and Information Technology, 12:2 (2010), pp. 157-170.
Manuel Velasquez, Management
"Ethical Relativism and the International Business Manager,"
in Studies in Economic Ethics and Philosophy (forthcoming)
- Business Ethics: Concepts and Cases, 5th edition (2002)
- Co-author of "Natural Law and Business Ethics," Business
Ethics Quarterly 7/2 (1997)
- "Business Ethics, the
Social Sciences, and Moral Philosophy," Social Justice
- "Immigration: Is Exclusion Just?"
Issues in Ethics 7/2 (1996)
- Co-author of "Why Ethics
Matters: A Defense of Ethics in Business Organizations,"
Business Ethics Quarterly (1996)
- "Making Business
Ethics Practical," Business Ethics Quarterly 5/3
(1995); "International Business Ethics: The Aluminum Companies
in Jamaica," Business Ethics Quarterly (1995)
Business, Morality, and the Common Good," Business Ethics
Quarterly 12/2 (1992)
- "Religion and Business: The
Catholic Church and the U.S. Economy," California Management
Review 30/4 (1988)
- Co-author of Ethics: Theory and Practice
Revised March 2013