- Ethics Home Page
- About the Center
- Focus Areas
- Contact Us
- Site Index
What Do We Mean When We Talk About Social JusticeBy Noelle Lopez
The five questions that follow stem from work I did during the 2008-09 academic year with the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics as a Hackworth Fellow. My intentions as a Hackworth Fellow were to get clear on what we mean when we talk about "social justice" at SCU. I chose these questions because they've helped me engage critically with "social justice" as a moral concept, and I believe they can help us all start thinking and talking about social justice more clearly. If we ever hope to engage in effective discussion and seek cooperative action with those who understand justice differently, we must first understand what we mean by social justice and why.
I see these questions as a first step. My hope is that they'll stimulate and challenge in ways ultimately edifying to you as well as to the communities of which you are a member. My hope is that they'll help us all be just a little better.
Fashioning a More Humane and Just World 1
Five Questions Every SCU Student Should Ask About Social JusticeDownload PDF
Noelle Lopez was a 2009-10 Hackworth Fellow at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics
1. Santa Clara University mission statement.
2. David Hollenbach, S.J., Claims in Conflict: Retrieving and Renewing the Catholic Human Rights Tradition, (New York: Paulist), 152.
3. Michael Novak, "Defining Social Justice," First Things 108 (Dec. 2000), 11-13. Rev. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, S.J. "The Service of Faith and the Promotion of Justice in American Jesuit Higher Education".
- Mobile Technology and Social Media: Ethical Implications (video)
The impact of mobile technology and social media in emerging markets
- Markkula Ethics Center Milestones
Highlights from the Center's first 25 years
- Catholicism and Conscience
The interaction between personal conscience and church teaching
- The Costs of Partisanship (video)
A conversation with former Republican Congressman Mickey Edwards
Hackworth Fellowships for SCU Seniors
Applications due May 22
Research Grants in Applied Ethics
Applications due May 28
Hanson Delivers UP Commencement Address
Center director tells seniors, "It's not about you"
A Legacy in Ethics
Kristi Markkula Bowers reflects on her family's connection to the Ethics Center
- More News »