- Transhumanism, Ethics, and the Internet
- Report on the Transhuman Visions conference, focusing on the ethics of extending and enhancing human life.
- A Call to Moral Theologians: Biotech Needs More Attention
- Essay on a talk by William Hurlbut, former member of the President's Council on Bioethics, sponsored by the Ethics Center
- Information Privacy: A Case Study and Commentary
- A proposal for a National AIDS registry raises concerns about privacy
Michael McFarland, S.J.
- Biotechnology and Ethics Class (video)
- Students learn the science, social impact, and ethics behind advances in biotechnology
- Perspectives on Cognitive Enhancement
- Hank Greely, professor of law at Stanford University, and the Emerging Issues Group at the Ethics Center look at the ethics of taking brain-boosting drugs.
- Finals Week: What to do about stimulants?
- A case exploring whether taking drugs like Adderall to improve cognitive performance is simply a form of enhancement or a form of cheating.
- Reflections on Research Ethics
- The editor of Science magazine and president emeritus of Stanford University discusses issues confronting universities and journals.
- Neuroethics: The Neuroscience Revolution, Ethics, and the Law
- When science expands our understanding of something so central to human existence, these advances will necessarily cause changes in both our society and its laws. This paper seeks to forecast and explore the social and legal changes that neuroscience might bring in four areas: prediction, litigation, confidentiality and privacy, and patents.
- Politics and Science
- Whatever one's view on the stem cell debate, good ethical thinking
is never the result of compliance. It involves rigorous consideration of possible actions, not capitulation to a prefabricated conclusion, political
Margaret R. McLean
- Framework for Thinking Ethically About Human Biotechnology
- The Markkula Center for Applied Ethics Framework is applied to issues in biotech.
Margaret R. McLean
- Ethics and Personhood: Some Issues in Contemporary Neurological Science and Technology