The IT Industry
- An Introduction to Software Engineering Ethics
- A stand-alone "plug and play" ethics module for software engineering courses including a reading, assignments, case studies, and exercises.
Shannon Vallor with special contribution by Arvind
- The Internet of Things
- The ethical implications of the rise of "The Internet of Things," the "Sensor Revolution," or "The Programmable World"
- The New Digital Divide
- In this brief video, Silicon Valley entrepreneur and innovator Kim Polese addresses the new digital divide--between those who have high-speed wired broadband access to the Internet in their homes, and those who don't.
- Protecting Privacy and Society
- Consumer and business data is increasingly moving to the "cloud," and people are clamoring for protection of that data. However, "maximum privacy" is really anonymity, and some people use it as a shield for illegal and unethical behavior. How should cloud service providers deal with this dilemma?
- Ethics and Politics of Search Engines
- Transcript of a panel discussing privacy, censorship, fairness, and access issues related to search engines.
Peter Norvig, Terry Winograd, Geoffrey Bowker, Kir
- The Ethical Dilemma of BYOD
- As people increasingly bring their own (mostly mobile) devices into the workplace, and use them for both personal and professional activities, new challenges arise--for the employees as well as their employers. Pat Gelsinger, the CEO of VMware, discusses some of the implications of BYOD for data security and personal privacy.
- Privacy and the Law
- A review of common law privacy protection, the Constitutional right to privacy, and privacy legislation
Michael McFarland, S.J.
- Engineering Ethics (Video)
- Why ethics is important for engineers.
Michael McFarland S.J, Irina Raicu
- End of Life IT Management
- Managing the reuse and disposal of outdated computer equipment is the subject of this video from Cisco, featuring Center Executive Director Kirk O. Hanson .
- Virtues and Vices of Open Source
- An analysis of the ethical issues surrounding free software.
- Unavoidable Ethical Questions About Open Source
- Issues confronting the free software movement include how best to promote innovation and the common good.
- Taking Responsibility for E-Waste
- Environmental damage from computer and other electronic waste.
- Unanticipated Consequences of Technology
- An investigation of the ubiquitous phenomenon of unanticipated consequences. Concludes with ethical implications of acting when consequences will occur.
- FAQs: Illegal Software Use
- Ethics and software piracy.
- Treatment of Emplolyees in High-Tech Start-Ups
- Weakness rather than evil accounts for many instances of unethical behavior.
Denis J. Moberg