Public Sector Roundtable
Ethics Hot Spots, Nov. 2009
The following are general ethical issues raised by participants
in the Nov. 2009 Government Ethics Roundtable for Local Officials:
- Is legislative leader responsible for ethics of all the
members of legislative or city council?
Can a city council or legislative body have a set of values-or
just a code for ethics compliance?
- Is there a barrier to a council member doing favor or providing
information or help?
- Should a city or other entity ban file sharing software on
- What do you do about a city council member who violates confidentiality
of closed session?
- Should a member give his or her opinion before public hearing?
What if they have pronounced in their election to support a
specific decision? Is that unethical not to listen to facts?
- Is it a conflict of interest for a student officer to give
out money to organizations he has joined?