- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Staff Senate Newsletter
Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010 12:29 PM
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010 3:28 PM
Welcome back to what will undoubtedly be a successful academic year. As a staff member here at Santa Clara for 7 years, I’ve been fortunate to see lots of positive change within the Mission Campus. I appreciate being here and embracing the Jesuit ideals of educating the whole person and serving others. As staff members we can have a huge impact on the Santa Clara student experience. As the President of the Staff Senate, I’m here to make sure we as employees have input regarding our own Santa Clara experience.
This year the Staff Senate is focusing on communication. Through this newsletter, our webpage, and the actions of your representatives, we will work to keep staff abreast of issues including benefits, WASC accreditation, the University Master Plan, SCU’s capacity study, and the next fundraising campaign. These areas will all impact our daily jobs and help Santa Clara to continue to prepare current and future students for life. If there are other issues you’d like to bring forward, please connect with your Staff Senate representative(s) whom you can find at
I look forward to celebrating many milestones, successes, and victories with you.
Fred K. Smith
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010 3:22 PMSUPER HALLOWEEN EVENT - For HomeSafe Women and Children's shelter in San Jose - October 27 2010 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
SUPER HALLOWEEN EVENT - For HomeSafe Women and Children's shelter in San Jose - October 27 2010 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
How to get involved: We are looking for a variety of donations and we welcome volunteers who want to serve at the party in costume.
- Donate any new or gently used (clean) child's costume(s). Each child at the shelter will be presented with a costume which they will be able to wear to the Halloween Party. Please put donation in a paper bag marked with the type of costume, size, indicate for boy or girl, and drop off at the Registrar's office, Walsh Administration, to the attention of Marquita Coe. Please deliver no later than October 18th so that we will have time to seek costumes for children who may not have received one... (Hint - Check out the thrift shops and church stores like St.Justine's for second hand inexpensive costumes. We do have a list of the sizes needed if you plan on purchasing. Contact Marquita at email@example.com if you want to target a specific size.)
- Donate cans of decorating icing (with tips), sprinkles, gummy bears (any decorating item for cupcakes). We will provide plain chocolate and vanilla cupcakes which the women and children will be decorating. (No nuts please!)
- Donate Halloween stickers and color crayons (can be used, in good shape) for the children to use in decorating their own trick or treat bags. We also are in need of plain paper bags w handles for this project. (Note: if interested in donating the paper bags please email Julie Stone (firstname.lastname@example.org) for size OR please cut out or go on line and get the Michael’s store discount coupons. Get them to us so that we can use them for obtaining the needed materials.
- Donate bags of candy (please provide enough pieces for the 88 mothers and children’s treat bags) Children will “fish” for their treat bag which they can stick in the trick or treat bag that they make. (No nuts please!)
- Donate any book scraping materials that we can use in a special project we are doing with the Mothers. They will be putting together scrap books creatively using small lunch paper bags and decorating. (If interested in donating small lunch size paper bags please contact Julie Stone (email@example.com). Pictures will be taken of them with their children in costume which they will be able to put in them.
- Donate any Halloween decorations. We will use these to decorate the room at the shelter where we will be holding the party. Please put donations in paper bag and drop off to Jan Davis, Philosophy Department, Kenna Hall, 200.
- Monetary donations of any size welcome. We hope to receive all the costumes and other materials mentioned above from donations. Monetary donations will go towards those items we are not able to receive. (If you want to donate money for this event, please make check out to “Santa Clara University” and write in the memo area Halloween event. Drop your check or money donation off to the Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education, Sobrato Hall A, Room 30.
Volunteers needed and welcome to serve at the event! We would prefer all volunteers serving at the event to be in costume, if possible. If you are interested in participating at the event please send an email to Jan Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can follow up with you.
Any additional questions? Please send an email to Marquita Coe (email@example.com)
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010 3:18 PMThis issue profiles Carol Bonney the Assistant Registrar, Academic Records. she has served at SCU for 15+ Years and her most meaningful career achievement has been completing the 'Degree Audit'.
The Santa Clara University community if full of special people with unique and outstanding qualities that help make SCU a great place to work. If you know of anyone that should be highlighted for the next issue, please send your nominations to Susan Babbel, chair of the Staff Senate Communications Committee (Sbabbel@scu.edu). This issue profiles Carol Bonney.
Title: Assistant Registrar, Academic Records
Length of SCU Employment: 15+ Years
Most Meaningful Career Achievement: Completing the Degree Audit
Born & Lived: Northern & Southern California, Los Angeles, Oregon, Indiana, Kentucky, Texas, & Illinois
In My Spare Time: I love playing with my white German Shepherd, Shasta. I’m a faithful Chicago Bears fan & am currently an avid rose gardener who is on the path to becoming a Master Gardner. I travel abroad with friends & plan on traveling even more after retirement in a few years.
Favorite Books: I am a devout reader & have many favorites. My most recent favorite is “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein.
Family: Married to Trace for thirty nine years; two sons – Eric who works in IT & Matthew who is currently serving as a U.S. Air Force Sergeant.
Recent Accomplishments: Just received this year’s SCU Outstanding Staff Volunteer Service Award for my service with the Alameda County Blue Star Mothers, Chapter CA23. The Blue Star Mothers honor the sacrifices that military families have made & continue assisting them in many ways through support, education & friendship.
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010 3:15 PMThe Staff Senate is seeking submissions for the 1st Annual SCU Staff and Faculty Art Show, October 1 - December 13, 2010 in the University Library, Second Floor.
The Staff Senate is seeking submissions for the 1st Annual SCU Staff and Faculty Art Show, October 1 - December 13, 2010 in the University Library, Second Floor. A reception will be held in conjunction with the Grand Reunion Weekend, on the afternoon of October 8. Contact Susan Babbel (SBabbel@scu.edu)
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010 3:11 PMThe Staff Senate shall exist to contribute to the success of Santa Clara University, to the growth and welfare of its staff employees, and to the promotion of a positive and supportive work environment.
The Staff Senate shall exist to contribute to the success of Santa Clara University, to the growth and welfare of its staff employees, and to the promotion of a positive and supportive work environment. As a constituent organization, along with the Faculty Senate and Associated Students, the Staff Senate shall operate as a recognized part of the University governance system to provide a forum for open communication and ongoing dialogue among staff and between staff and administration. The Staff Senate shall be a consultative and deliberative body with authority to make recommendations on all matters which have a significant bearing on the working environment of the staff. The Staff Senate, through its elected representatives, will serve as the official nominating body for staff appointments to administrative committees, and for other task forces and search committees as requested.