Information Technology (IT)
Requisition Number (please reference): 1001375
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California's Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master's, Ph.D., and law degrees.
Distinguished by the highest retention rate and ranked second among all master's universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is California's oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
The Network Engineer reports to the Manager of Networking and Telecommunications
(I.T.). The primary responsibility for the position is to work with the Information
Technology network engineering team lead by the lead Network Engineer to maintain
the operational stability of, provide technical support for and assist in design
of the University's enterprise data network.
The activities of this position must support the Mission and Goals of Information
Technology and the University.
I. Essential Duties (major functions, each accounting for 20% or more of the position)
- Provides second and third tier customer service and assistance to networking customers. Provides diagnostic and troubleshooting for network problems.
- As a member of the Network Engineering team, assist in the ongoing definition and development of the enterprise network structure, services, procedures, and policies. Is responsible for designing the placement of, coordinating the installation of, and maintenance/operation of enterprise-wide networking equipment (including routers, hubs, switches, wireless devices). Has a leadership role in the implementation of several networking solutions as defined by the team lead.
- Works and coordinates with other I.T. staff as appropriate.
II. Specific Duties (representative examples of tasks or projects related to the essential duties listed above):
- Perform problem analysis and resolution for network problems.
- Occasionally perform on-site (in the customer's office) support to customers.
- Be proactive in notifying customers of outages, changes, updates and new features.
- Must accept that on occasion and depending on the situation will be required to work beyond and in addition to the traditional work schedules/hours including project work and responding to failures.
- Required to wear a cell phone and pager.
- Required to work non-standard hours to respond to failures, outages and scheduled maintenance.
- Designs the placement of and operates networking equipment.
- Prototypes and evaluates new and existing network technologies, equipment and services.
- Maintains the inventory of network assets.
- Administrator of the network management stations and equipment.
- In collaboration with the Communication Technician, maintains campus communication rooms.
- Responsible for insuring proper operation of equipment by developing and implementing appropriate monitoring and testing protocols. Monitor network for performance, security and policy violations and document as necessary for appropriate reaction.
- Maintains network address and routing tables.
- Responsible for configuring and implementing the campus wireless network overlay including the security infrastructure.
III. Other Duties (duties which may be expected of the incumbent but are not
considered essential under the Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Performs related duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attendance at industry conventions, presentations and conferences.
- Keeping current on technology trends.
- Give support to other Information Technology staff in support of their job functions.
IV. III. Qualifications (minimum required; maximum preferred):
- As a minimum, BS Degree, plus two years of applicable post-graduate experience OR pertinent technical training and certifications plus five years of experience.
- Must be skilled as a technical troubleshooter.
- Experienced in the administration and operation of data network.
- Knowledgeable in multiple networking services and protocols including IPX/SPX, TCP/IP, DHCP/BootP, DNS, RIP, ARP/RARP, VPNs, VLANs, Subnetting, and Routing.
- Experience with VoIP, IP TV and multicast is desirable
- Knowledgeable in use of network management and analysis tools. Experienced using Fluke NetTools and analyzers, packet sniffers
- Knowledgeable in the use and operation of a Personal Computer.
- Must be able to handle and operate equipment, which can be located in racks, on tall shelves or in cabinets at heights up to 8 feet and weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Experience with Cisco routers, switches is required.
- Experience with Cisco firewalls, Cisco ASA, Palo Alto Networks firewalls and Q1Labs QRADAR are desirable.
- Experience writing scripts or code is desirable
- Must have experience interacting with other people in a customer service capacity. Having good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills is important.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Must be a "self-starter" and be able to proactively identify problems (or potential problems) and propose solutions. Initiative and creativity are important qualities to make this position successful.
- The University technology environment is very dynamic and challenging. A person who can adapt to change and enjoys these challenges is sought.
Job Application Process
View All Staff Opportunities
View All Faculty Opportunities
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services website at http://www.scu.edu/cs/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.