The Internship Program is a paraprofessional community-based learning experience, which allows undergraduate students to obtain professional work experience while pursuing defined learning goals and objectives. Social justice-oriented engagement with the community to enhance vocational discernment is the cornerstone of the program. The year-long commitment offers an in-depth exploration of community needs and services.
The program provides juniors and seniors with a rich and deep experience in the local community. Arrupe Interns are matched with a community partner for a full academic year, spending an average of six to eight hours per week in the community. The program is designed to meet the needs of community partners but also to help Arrupe Interns delve into individual passions and areas of interest. As liaisons, Arrupe Interns serve as a resource for other SCU students in the weekly engagement program while learning more about a profession in the public and non-profit sectors.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Must be a current sophomore or junior in good academic standing (2.5 GPA or better)
- Must have previous experience working/learning with the community, preferably through the Ignatian Center
- Must be able to commit six to 10 hours per week for a full academic year (includes travel time to/from site)
- Engage in the community for six to eight hours per week throughout the academic year (Sept. to June)
- Participate in initial site visit and supervision meetings
- Act as a liaison between the Ignatian Center and the host organization
Weekly Engagement Program
- Act as a resource person for and mentor to SCU students who participate at the host organization in the Weekly Engagement Program
- Assist with the sign-up process and quarterly orientation for students
- Assist with quarterly reflection sessions
- Participate in bi-weekly intern meetings
- Assist with Ignatian Center events, as appropriate
- Attend the ISL Jesuit Dinner, Fall Retreat, Arrupe Gathering, Spring Retreat, ISL Transition Gathering, and End of Year Dinner
Interns receive a stipend.
Applications for the 2013–14 Arrupe Internships are due on Wednesday, April 17 at 3:00 p.m. Apply online.
Meet some of our interns and learn about their experiences.
Rosa Guerra-Sarabia: RGuerraSarabia@scu.edu or 408-554-5011
Tam Hixson: email@example.com or at 408-554-4641