Apply to the Master of Arts in Biblical Languages (M.A.B.L.) Program
M.A.B.L. Application Checklist
- Complete and Signed Application for Admission Apply online through the Graduate Theological Union's website or with a paper form. Make sure to indicate Biblical Languages as your proposed area of study and Jesuit School of Theology as your school of affiliation. Provide accurate contact information and include details on any prior language study and research and writing experience. You may attach a resume on a separate page if you like.
- Application fee of $40 The fee should be sent in a check payable on a U.S. bank or by means of an international postal money order. Online applicants will pay the application fee when submitting the application via CollegeNet.
- Academic Statement of Purpose The statement of purpose is not a personal biography. It is a statement of goals that explains your study interests and outlines the reasons the GTU and the school of affiliation are an appropriate place for the proposed program of study. This statement should be approximately one page in length.
- Three Academic Letters of Recommendation Choose people who can speak knowledgeably and articulately about your academic and intellectual potential and will write specific letters. Academic references are different from general character references. Letters are requested by the applicant and submitted by the recommender via the online application system. Forms are also available for downloading on this page. If you do not use the online system, we suggest that your recommenders seal the letter in an envelope and sign across the seal, then either return it to you to send with your application materials, or if they prefer, they may send the letter directly to the GTU. Inform them of the application deadline and provide them with a stamped envelope addressed to: Admissions Office, Graduate Theological Union, 2400 Ridge Road, Berkeley, CA 94709.
- Two official transcripts Please submit two official transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate school attended. Applicants are expected to have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0) for the bachelor's degree. Transcripts should show a range of undergraduate courses which demonstrate solid preparation in the humanities and some knowledge of religion.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores GRE scores are required of all applicants whose native language is English or who have completed a degree at an institution where English is the primary language. Students are strongly advised to sign up early for the examinations so that scores will be available to the Admissions Committee. Applicants are generally expected to have a GRE verbal score of at least 550 unless there are extenuating circumstances. For further information about how to register for these examinations visit www.gre.org. Scores must be from tests taken within the last five years. The GTU's institution code is 4336.
- TOEFL scores (International Applicants Only) International applicants from a country where English is not the official language must submit scores from the TOEFL examination instead of scores from the GRE. Applicants to the M.A. program are expected to have a TOEFL score of at least 550 (written) or 213 (computer) or 80 (internet based) from an exam taken within the last two years. For registration information visit www.toefl.org.
Send applications and all supporting materials to the Graduate Theological Union Office of Admissions located at the following address:
Graduate Theological Union
2400 Ridge Road
Berkeley, CA 94709
You can find specific details about the Master of Arts in Biblical Languages program (admissions, tuition, financial aid, degree requirements, etc.) on the Graduate Theological Union's Biblical Studies program page and further information about the application process on the GTU M.A. Admissions page. If you have any questions or need to contact the GTU admissions department directly, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 649-2460 or (800) 826-4488.
Also, feel free to contact the admissions department at JST with any questions you may have.