- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
SCU Editorial Style Guide
Means for example and is always followed by a comma. Not to be confused with i.e., the abbreviation for the Latin id est or that is, which is also always followed by a comma.
- Earth, the earth
- She is down to earth.
Capitalize when used as the proper name of the planet.
- The astronauts returned to Earth.
- Eastside Project
- Now the Pedro Arrupe, S.J., Center for Community-Based Learning
- effect, affect
- either, neither
When either and neither are subjects, they always take singular verbs:
- Neither of them is available to speak right now.
- Either of us is capable of doing the job.
Two singular subjects connected by either/or or neither/nor take a singular verb:
- Neither Juan nor Ronnie is available.
- Either Linda or Patti is helping today with the photo shoot.
When I is one of the two subjects connected by either/neither, put it second and follow it with the singular verb am.
- Neither she nor I am going to the festival.
When a singular and plural subject are connected by either/or or neither/nor, put the plural subject last and use a plural verb.
- Neither Diane nor the others are available.
- El Camino Real
Use full street name in all instances, DO NOT SHORTEN to "El Camino."
(...) See punctuation.
Acceptable in all references and does not take a hyphen. Lowercase email addresses.
Capitalize the titles of encyclicals and place within quotation marks. Use either English or Latin title, whichever the encyclical is more generally known as.
- “The Progress of Peoples.”
- “Human Vitae”
- endowed chair/endowed professorship
Don?t capitalize these terms, but capitalize the name of the endowed chair.
- Phil and Bobbie Sanfilippo Chair
Always use full chair title after a person's name. If used before identify as Professor.
- Joe Smith, holder of the XYZ Professorship
- NOT XYZ Professorship holder Joe Smith
- Acceptable XYZ Professor Joe Smith
Always use chair title on first reference
- On first reference: Professor Joe Smith, holder of the Phil and Bobbie Sanfilippo Chair, canceled class today.
- OR Phil and Bobbie Sanfilippo Professor Joe Smith canceled class today.
- On subsequent reference: Smith rescheduled class for tomorrow.
- Engh, Michael, S.J.
President of Santa Clara University. Engh acceptable on second reference. Use of his middle initial “E.” is preferred in official communication. Preferred first usage for press releases:
- SCU President Michael E. Engh, S.J.
- Eucharist, eucharistic
Lowercase eucharistic except as part of a formal title:
- the International Eucharistic Congress
- eucharistic minister