On Wednesday, September 30, at 12:00 p.m. in the Mission Church, the University community will celebrate our annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, followed by a picnic lunch. At this special liturgy, Santa Clara will continue the centuries-old tradition among Catholic colleges and universities of calling upon the Holy Spirit to guide and bless us in our work throughout the academic year.
To enable the campus community to attend the Mass, classes will not meet between 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. that day. Classes that usually meet from 11:45 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. will be cancelled. Classes scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. will begin at 1:15 p.m.
We welcome one and all to join in the celebration.
Convocation for the 2015-2016 academic year will be held on Tuesday, September 15, at 4:00 p.m. in Mayer Theatre. Please note the change in venue from past convocations. This is our first community event ushering in the new academic year before our students arrive on campus. I invite all faculty and staff to attend the annual program which gives me the opportunity to welcome new members to the University community, acknowledge achievements, and highlight past progress and future plans for the upcoming year.
On Friday, July 31, the University community will gather to celebrate the Feast of St. Ignatius with liturgy at 11:30 a.m. in the Mission Church followed by a picnic lunch on the St. Ignatius Lawn. This is a special tradition for Santa Clara and Jesuit institutions around the world when we honor the founder of the Society of Jesus and recall his unique spiritual gifts.
Ignatius left a legacy of spiritual practices that are grounded in our everyday lives and focused on actions that serve the greater glory of God. His was a mission of love, justice and a special concern for the poor, the sick and the hungry.
Please mark you calendars for Friday, July 31, to celebrate our Ignatian roots.
I wish to acknowledge several staff who were recognized at the 28th Annual Staff Recognition Event on June 16. The annual event is an opportunity to acknowledge the special contributions and dedication of the staff to their divisions and to the University.
This year, the Inclusive Excellence Award, renamed in honor of Professor Emeritus Francisco Jimenez, was given to:
- Sandra Hayes, Undergraduate Admission
The following staff received division awards for their respective divisions:
- Butch Coyne, SCU Presents
- Charity Garcia, Undergraduate Admission
- Phil Livak, Campus Safety Services
- Yolanda Murry, Human Resources
- Mike Nuttall, Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education
- Team Award: Jeffrey Baerwald, S.J., Lester Deanes, Matthew Duncan, Kim Gilkey-Wall, Ngoc Nguyen-Mains, and Nora Jamison-Danko from Office of Student Life
- Team Award: Jay Colombatto, Patricia Salazar, and Christi Shaw from University Relations
Congratulations to all!
What's Ahead on My Calendar:
- June 22-24 - California Province Congregation
- June 25-26 - President's Cabinet Leadership Retreat
- June 28-July 5 - Retreat
- July 3 - Independence Day Administrative Holiday
- July 9, 12, 16, 20, 23 - Orientation Welcome
- July 31 - Feast of St. Ignatius Mass and Picnic Lunch