What's Ahead on My Calendar...
- October 29 - Orientation for Members of the University Planning Committees
- November 1 - Feast of All Saints
- November 1 - Silicon Valley Leadership Group Public Policy Luncheon
- November 4 - Open Meeting for Faculty and Staff
- November 4 - St. Ignatius Preparatory Board of Trustees Meeting
- November 6 - Graduate Theological Union Council of Presidents Meeting
- November 7 - Law School Dean's Circle Reception
- November 7 - Misa En Espanol
- November 10 - Alumni Event in Seattle
- November 14 - The Tech Awards
- November 18 - Administrative Leaders Group Meeting
- November 22 - WCC Presidents Council Meeting
- November 28 - Thanksgiving
Celebration of the Mass of the Holy Spirit
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, at 12:00 p.m. in the Mission Church, we will celebrate our annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, followed by a picnic lunch on the St. Ignatius Lawn. At this special liturgy, Santa Clara will continue the centuries-old tradition among Catholic colleges and universities of calling upon the Holy Spirit to guide and bless us in our work throughout the academic year.Through our common prayer, we call on the Spirit of God to be with us in all our works, activities, and endeavors. Recognizing the religious diversity in our community, we welcome members of all faith traditions to join together at this special Catholic liturgy.
To enable the campus community to attend the Mass, classes will not meet between 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. that day. Classes that usually meet from 11:45 A.M. to 12:50 p.m. will be cancelled. Classes scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. will instead begin at 1:15 p.m
The Faculty Collaborative for Teaching and Innovation has been awarded $150,000 from the Hewlett endowment from the President’s Office to continue and extend efforts to enhance learning environments and teaching practices. The Collaborative's model of partnership includes colleagues from the Provost's Office, Faculty Development, Assessment, Information Services, and the teaching faculty. Working together on meaningful projects central to our mission, the Collaborative implemented several effective and fruitful initiatives in the 2012-13 academic year. We saw the Collaborative's successful launch of the classroom redesign project, the LEAD scholars iPad project, and many faculty development efforts around enhancing teaching with technology.
Building on these projects, this year the Collaborative will examine the impact of blended learning, collaborative classrooms and mobile technology. The Collaborative will also focus on understanding how changes in classroom design and use of educational technologies affect the quality of student learning, with particular attention to program level learning and learning that fosters social justice goals. I thank the Collaborative team under the leadership of Chris Bachen, Nancy Cutler, Ron Danielson, Eileen Elrod and Diane Jonte-Pace, and I look forward to another successful year.
New Faces and New Spaces in the President's Office
This new academic year we welcome a few new faces to the President's Office. In August, Monica Manriquez joined the office staff as Assistant to the President and comes to us from the Office of the Vice President for Administration and Finance after fourteen years of service there. An alumna of Santa Clara, Monica will provide operational and calendaring support and assist with matters of financial management.
Peter Rožič, S.J., will spend the year with us as Special Assistant to the President, preparing for work in higher education in his home country of Slovenia. Fr. Rožič came to Santa Clara in January 2013 as a Postdoctoral Research Scholar in the Department of Political Science. In his new role as special assistant, he will shadow senior administrators, interact with the President's Staff and other campus leaders, and work on special projects.
Other changes in the office included the remodel of the second floor of Walsh Administration Building. After a five-year deferral, renovations were completed in the summer. The new space offers a bright and more welcoming reception area for guests and visitors to the office.
What's Ahead on My Calendar
- September 27 – JST Board of Directors Meeting
- September 28-30 – Board of Fellows Trip to Boston
- October 2 – Mass of the Holy Spirit
- October 2 – GTU Council of Presidents
- October 4 – People Acting in Community Together (PACT) Awards Ceremony
- October 5 – Jubilee Mass for Jubilarians in California Province, Society of Jesus
- October 5-6 – SCU Open House
- October 8 – Faculty Promotion Reception
- October 10-12 – AJCU Presidents Meeting in Chicago
- October 17-18 – Board of Trustees Meeting