- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Santa Clara University
Ricky Manalo, CSP
Lecturer (Academic Quarter)
Ricky Manalo, CSP, is a Paulist priest who was born in New York and grew up in New Jersey. He received his B.M. in music composition from the Manhattan School of Music, his M.A. from the Washington Theological Union, and his Ph.D. from the Graduate Theological Union. He is a liturgical composer and his CDs and songbooks are published by Oregon Catholic Press, GIA Publications, and iTunes. His music has been performed by symphonies and in various venues from national conferences to papal masses. He serves as an advisor to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops? Secretariate of Cultural Diversity in the Church and is a member of the Catholic Theological Society of America, the North American Academy of Liturgy, the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (past board member), and Societas Liturgica.
FIELDS OF INTERESTS
Liturgy and Sociology of Religion
Liturgy and Cultural Anthropology
Christian Worship in Asian Contexts
Liturgical Music: Composition and Pastoral Music
Roman Catholic Presbyteral Formation: Presiding and Preaching
Intercultural Communication in Pastoral Contexts
Courses taught at Santa Clara University
TESP 4 The Christian Tradition
TESP 54 Religious Imagination
PLIT 265 Inculturation and Liturgy
PLIT 231 Ritual Theory and Practice
· Pastoral Commentary on Varietates Legitimae: The Fourth Instruction for the Right Application of the Conciliar Constitution on the Liturgy (Nos. 37-40), in The Liturgy Documents: A Parish Resource, Vol. 4. Chicago, IL: Liturgy Training Publications (Forthcoming, Spring 2013).
· Deepening Advent: Celebrating Las Posadas and Simbang Gabi in Parishes Today, Pastoral Liturgy (Sept.-Oct. 2012): 4-9.
· Making the Unpoetic Poetic: The Third Edition of the Roman Missal, Pastoral Music (Sept.-Oct 2011).
· Sing to the Lord: Cultural Perspectives, Sing to the Lord: Essays in Honor of Robert W. Hovda. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Pastoral Musicians, 2010.
· Chanting On Our Behalf: A Pastoral Methodology for Presidential Chanting and Musical Leadership. Washington, D.C.: Pastoral Press, 2003; revised edition forthcoming, 2013.