In spring 2011, the Interim Provost and the Faculty Senate President formed a Task Force on Class Scheduling and Classroom Utilization* to help the University understand better how many and what types of instructional spaces are needed to support student learning. The Task Force was also asked to attend to how the scheduling of classes “impacts faculty’s ability to manage those tasks beyond teaching for which they are responsible.”
The Task Force submitted its report and recommendations in December 2011. As Faculty Senate President and Provost, we want to thank the members of the Task Force for their fine work. We are grateful for their thoughtful analysis and recommendations.
The report has been posted at http://www.scu.edu/provost/office/committees/Task-Force-on-Classroom-Utilization.cfm, and faculty are invited to submit comments/suggestions anonymously through the website.
The full report contains the following elements:
- A summary report concluding with ten recommendations designed to enhance scheduling flexibility, improve classroom utilization, and foster better communication (p. 1-9).
- A proposal for a revision of the current guidelines for class scheduling (p. 11-15) and, for the purpose of comparison, the current (2009) guidelines for class scheduling (p. 16-19).
- A report on the fall 2011 faculty survey focusing on possibilities for off-peak class scheduling (p. 20-37). This includes an analysis and a complete list of responses.
- An analysis of utilization patterns for classrooms and other instructional spaces at Santa Clara (p. 38-41)
- An analysis of the history and current patterns of scheduled classes and classrooms at Santa Clara (p. 42-51).
- The original charge of the Task Force (p. 52-53).
Members of the task force will discuss the report at the Faculty Senate Council meeting on February 8, 2012. The report has already been discussed with the Planning Action Council among other groups. Feedback from faculty and the Faculty Senate Council is of critical importance as we plan next steps.
Dennis Jacobs William Greenwalt
Provost Faculty Senate President
* Task Force members include the following: Glenn Appleby, Darren Atkinson, Charles Erekson, Diane Jonte-Pace, Kristin Kusanovich, Dale Larson, Jill Pellettieri, and Neal Ushman. Glenn Appleby served as Chair in spring 2011 and Jill Pellettieri served as Chair in Fall 2011. The group was staffed by Monica Augustin and assisted by Suzanne Dancer.