Excellence through diversity and inclusion is central to Santa Clara's Jesuit, Catholic values. In addition to stating our commitment to academic excellence, our Fundamental Values express our commitment to community and diversity:
We cherish our diverse and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni, a community that is enriched by people of different backgrounds, respectful of the dignity of all its members, enlivened by open comunication, and caring and just toward others.
The University strives for excellence through diversity and inclusion.
Diversity involves both the individual and group differences that are engaged in the service of learning. Diversity can include personality, learning style, life experience, race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, and ability, as well as cultural, political, religious or other affiliations or perspectives.
Inclusion involves the active, intentional, respectful engagement with diversity among our students, faculty, and staff, as well as in the curriculum and co-curriculum. Inclusion builds a sense of community, a practice of engaged learning, and a commitment to a just, humane, and sustainable world.
Santa Clara's understanding of excellence through diversity and inclusion draws from our Jesuit, Catholic tradition, from our Fundamental Values, and from the understanding of diversity, inclusion and equity developed by the American Association of Colleges and Universities (see Making Excellence Inclusive).
- Nurture a diverse University community rooted in mutual understanding and respect
- Educate students, staff and faculty about the importance of a diverse community
- Continue promoting social justice as a cornerstone of the mission of this institution both on and off campus
- Support innovation in approaches to enhance access and retention of underrepresented students, staff and faculty
- Seek connections among different reference groups by fostering a climate of inter-group dialogue
See the Council on Inclusive Excellence Goals and Updates.