- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Message from Aldo Billingslea
As Santa Clara University’s first Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion, I want to thank all of you who have welcomed me with e-mails, warm wishes, prayers and words of encouragement. I am looking forward to serving the University in this new role, and I am particularly appreciative of the invitations for collaboration, communication, and consultation that I have received.
I am pleased to announce plans for the inauguration of Santa Clara University’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion. Because many of these plans still are being developed, additional information will be forthcoming soon.
LOCATION: The Office for Diversity and Inclusion will be located in 103 Walsh Administration Building, on the east side of the main staircase. The Office will include not only the Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion but also a Program Director for Diversity and Inclusion (watch for further news about the upcoming search).
- An opening reception for the Office will be held in the fall.
- Plans for 2013-14 include the development of (1) a Toolkit for Diversity and Inclusion to support inclusive faculty searches, and (2) a set of workshops for deans, department chairs, and search committees.
- The Office for Diversity and Inclusion will partner with offices both on campus and off campus to offer a set of programming grants to support diversity and inclusion in research and within the curriculum and co-curriculum.
- The Office for Diversity and Inclusion will sponsor or co-sponsor events and programs throughout the year, including the following:
- On Monday, 8/26/13, at 6 p.m. at the Palo Alto City Hall, the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, in partnership with Stanford’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, will celebrate the 50th anniversary of “The March on Washington” with a performance of the speeches and songs offered half a century ago. At approximately 7:30 p.m., the celebration will culminate with the reading of the Reverend Doctor King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
- I have initiated a campus listening tour in order to develop a diversity and inclusion needs assessment for SCU. The listening tour is an opportunity for me to hear from various campus units and individuals about how they feel our campus could be more inclusive to our current members and grow an even more diverse community. If you or your campus unit would like to schedule a conversation this summer or fall, please contact me by e-mail.
Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to working with all of you in support of diversity and inclusion in community, climate, and communication at Santa Clara University.
Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion
Professor, Department of Theatre and Dance
Santa Clara University 500 El Camino Real Santa Clara, CA 95053-0460
408 554 4533 (appointments) 408 551 6074 (fax)