- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Message from Aldo Billingslea
Dear Santa Clara Community:
On behalf of the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, is it my pleasure to welcome you to the start of the 2015-2016 academic year. We've been busy this summer with a new hire, Orientation with new Broncos, additional steps with the response to the Unity 4 document, and gearing up for the hiring of new faculty.
- The efforts of a search committee chaired by Andrea Brewster completed the successful hire of our new Director for the Office for Diversity and Inclusion! Mr. Raymond Plaza started in late July as part of the SCU community. His bio is available here.
- The Diversity Dashboard has been updated to reflect more recent data on students, faculty and staff. The Dashboard is a tool that allows the University community to better understand our institutional demographics.
- In late May, students from UNITY 4 presented a formal proposal to the University administration detailing their concerns about campus climate and related diversity/social justice concerns. I am pleased to share that by June 15, Father Engh responded formally detailing the University's response to UNITY 4 concerns, and now efforts are underway on many fronts to begin to address the concerns. Those documents can be found here. As the fall quarter begins, the University administration plans to begin regular discussions with Unity 4 representatives as well as a campus wide open forum with the President.
- In coordination with other campus partners, ODI is ramping up services and efforts to better support employees and students who are Veterans.
- In addition, we are partnering with others in order to expand efforts to better serve Native American students, faculty and staff, so stay tuned for more information.
- Two exciting opportunities will be announced soon about (1) the AJCU Council on Diversity Education national conference to be held on the Santa Clara campus in June 2016 and (2) the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) in San Francisco in May 2016. More details will be announced about these opportunities.
The academic year promises to be an exciting one! The national and global landscape is constantly changing when it comes to issues of diversity and social justice, and these changes provide opportunities for our Bronco community to join together in dialogue and discover ways that we can collectively work to address challenges and grow as a university.
We look forward to working with each of you.
Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion
Professor, Department of Theatre and Dance
Santa Clara University 500 El Camino Real Santa Clara, CA 95053-0460
408 554 4533 (appointments) 408 551 6074 (fax)