Santa Clara Snapshot: 1912

Santa Clara Snapshot: 1912

By Holly Hanbury-Brown '12

Universitas Sancta Clarae: With the addition of courses in engineering, architecture, and law, the college becomes a university and the celebration in June draws tens of thousands. Courtesy SCU Archives
  • 1 billiard room, 8 large classrooms, and accommodations for 120 senior students in the just-completed O’Connor Hall.
  • 3 degree programs offered in the new College of Engineering: civil, mechanical, and electrical.
  • 30 cents for a dozen Eastern oysters to take home at the Santa Clara Restaurant and Oyster House. (California oysters are a much better buy, at 50 cents for 100.)
  • 121 runners participate in San Francisco’s inaugural Cross City Race—now known as Bay to Breakers.
  • 35,000 people attend the celebration on June 16—and 10,000 of them march in a parade—marking the transformation of Santa Clara College into the University of Santa Clara. Archbishop P.W. Riordan of San Francisco presides at commencement.
  • 10,091,550 square miles of the sun will be affected by a “great solar disturbance” the first week in June, predicts J.S. Ricard, S.J., who is director of the college observatory and known as “Padre of the Rains.”
comments powered by Disqus