- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
The building boom
What's new on campus? Try 11 buildings and two major renovations since 1997.
Music and Dance building (1997)
Catering to the performing arts, it houses a recital hall, dance studios, classrooms, dressing rooms, practice rooms, and faculty offices.
Alumni Science addition (1998)
Constructed in 1924 thanks to a gift of Santa Clara alumni. Doubled in size and now houses lecture rooms and laboratories for the biology, chemistry, and psychology departments.
Arts and Sciences building (1998)
Recognized for “Outstanding Design” among U.S. colleges and universities. Home to the College of Arts and Sciences and the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics. Houses state-of-the art facilities for video and film production.
Parking Structure (1999)
Pat Malley Fitness and Recreation Center (1999)
Dedicated to a legendary Santa Clara football coach. Open to all students, faculty, staff, and alumni, it is equipped with multipurpose courts, weight room, saunas, swimming pool, and multi-purpose rooms.
Degheri Tennis Center (1999)
Considered one of the finest tennis venues on the West Coast. Nine championship courts with seating for 750 spectators. Renamed in February 2004 after Bert Degheri ’61, a member of the men’s tennis squad.
Leavey Event Center remodel (2000)
Constructed in 1975 and named after Thomas E. Leavey ’22, founder of Farmers Insurance. In 2000 the “bubble” roof was deflated and an impressive remodel undertaken. Encompassing 102,674 square feet, it’s now home to the basketball and volleyball teams, athletic offices, and site of graduate commencement and concerts.
Sobrato Residence Hall (2000)
The $15.6 million, four-story complex houses the Loyola Residential Learning Community and some 270 students. Named after prominent Silicon Valley developer John A. Sobrato ’60 and his wife, Susan.
Support Services Building (2000)
Keeping the campus humming. Home to University Operations, Purchasing, and Mailing Services.
Commons at Kennedy Mall (2005)
One of the first entirely green academic buildings in the U.S. The residential quad educates users and visitors on the importance of sustainable design, using a multitude of green materials to create a highly functional and flexible environment.
Schott Stadium (2005)
Play ball! Named after Stephen Schott ’60, former owner of the Oakland A’s. Equipped with a press box, stadium suite, theater-style and bleacher seating, as well as fully compliant ADA seating.
Jesuit Residence (2006)
Built to make the residence more open to the larger community, and designed around a historic Spanish-style home that was incorporated into the new building.
Harrington Learning Commons, Sobrato Technology Center, and Orradre Library (2008)
Opened in March. The new intellectual heart of the Mission campus. Blends the traditional with the futuristic and thrills students, faculty, and visitors as a place of light and wonder.
Leavey School of Business building, Lucas Hall (2008)
The $49 million building unites under one roof all the programs of the Leavey School of Business and more than doubles the space available in the previous building.
Sullivan Aquatics Center (2008)
Opening October. Features a regulation-size pool for water polo with ample room for lap swimmers to use the water at the same time.
Renovations in the past 20 years also include Daly Science 100 (1994), Benson Dining Facility (1995), Varsi Hall (2004), Campisi Residence Hall (2007), Kenna Hall (2008), and Ricard Observatory (2008). Builings purchased or donated include Loyola Hall, Berllarmine Residence Hall, Kids on Campus, and 1030 The Alameda, which is home to the Katherine and George Alexander Community Law Center. Whew!