Santa Clara University

undefined

In Memoriam

1944 Louis Frank Boitano, Nov. 22, 2008. A native of San Jose, he left Santa Clara to fight in the Pacific during World War II, serving as a personal bodyguard to General Douglas MacArthur. He was present in Tokyo Harbor when Japan surrendered to American forces. He returned to finish his undergraduate studies at SCU in 1947, earning a degree in business and receiving the Nobili Award, the University’s top academic distinction. He embarked on a lifetime mission of teaching and building a business. He became a professor and taught at SCU for 25 years. He earned his CPA license and launched a partnership with Fran Sargent that developed into Boitano Sargent & Lilly. He was a member of the Knights of Malta, Serra Club of Santa Clara, the Knights of Columbus, and Catholic Charities, and was on SCU’s Board of Fellows. He received the Ignatian Award from the University for his commitment to helping others. He is survived by four children: Frank ’68, Mark ’71, Steven ’77, and Julie Robson ’83; four stepchildren; 23 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

1948 James E. Sweeters, Jan. 13, 2009. The Anaheim native graduated from Loyola High School and went immediately to the Jesuit novitiate in Los Gatos, where he studied for the priesthood and a career in teaching. He was ordained into the priesthood as a Jesuit in 1955 and assigned to SCU, where he served as dean of students, vice president for student services, and director of athletics. He later continued his academic training in Rome at the Ponitifical Gregorian University, where he earned a doctorate degree in 1968. He returned to SCU and taught religious studies until his retirement. In 1978, he was laicized and wed Jo Ann Vasquez; they were married for 30 years.

1954 Jack Keuhler M.S. ’68, Dec. 20, 2008. A native of Grand Island, Neb., he started at IBM as an associate engineer at the San Jose Research Laboratory in 1958. He was elected IBM senior vice president in May 1982 and became vice chairman of the board and a member of the executive committee in January 1988. He was elected president in May 1989 and resumed the title of vice chairman in 1993. The former engineering alumnus served on SCU’s Board of Trustees and in 2005 he and his wife donated $1 million to the School of Engineering. In addition to his wife, he is survived by five children; and 12 grandchildren.

Printer-friendly format