GSBI believes innovation and entrepreneurship provide a path out of poverty. We build the capacity of entrepreneurs dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing issues. Executive mentorship combined with structured curriculum are the foundation of our theory of change. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley at Santa Clara University, we offer a unique combination of Silicon Valley acumen and a humble Jesuit ethos that support social entrepreneurs around the world through their entire lifecycle.
Begun in 2003 with a small pilot group, GSBI has made giant strides:
- 250 enterprises have completed GSBI programs
- The lives of nearly 100 million have been positively impacted by these enterprises
- 90% of GSBI alumni are still in business
- 40% of the enterprises are scaling, meaning that impact is growing in a financially sustainable manner. (This scaling rate is more than three times that of conventional for-profit ventures. $89 million of funding has been raised by enterprises post-GSBI programs)
The GSBI Accelerator aims to scale high potential social enterprises, by preparing entrepreneurs for the investment process and addressing internal gaps to scaling their organization.
The ten month program includes:
Feb. - May: Mentored, online work; Entrepreneurs and mentors go through several modules aimed at strengthening the business and improving the business plan.
June: Entrepreneurs who complete the mentored online work and demonstrate that their enterprise is ready for the August in-residence program will be invited to phase II of the GSBI Accelerator. Entrepreneurs who do not meet this criteria will work out a plan with GSBI to join a future GSBI cohort.
July: Final mentored, online work to prepare for August In-residence
August: In-residence at Santa Clara University includes: class sessions, working groups, and networking events with industry experts, CEOs, VCs, and impact investors. The entrepreneurs develop the implementation plan for scaling their enterprises.
Sep. - Nov: Mentors continue to offer support as the entrepreneurs implement their plans to scale.
Five content experts lead work with GSBI staff and mentors to deliver curriculum and training to address the following:
- Impact model and metrics, business model evaluation and refinement
- Marketing strategy and execution
- Operational excellence at scale
- Organizational development and talent management
- Financing plan for scaling and preparation for diligence