Santa Clara University


Tax Information

In general, a nonresident who received any wages must file a tax return by April 15, 2013.  U.S. Tax laws, like immigration regulations, are complex and change frequently. Please visit the internet resources below to find the most current information about your U.S. tax responsibilities.

Frequently asked questions:  IRS FAQ

IRS Forms:

F-1 students file either Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ.  Form 1040NR is 5 pages long and can accommodate all types of income and expenses.  Form 1040NR-EZ is only 2 pages long and is limited to specific situations.  For information on which form to fill out please visit the following link:

  • 1040EZ and Instructions
  • 1040NR
  • 8843-all F-1 students must file this form each year regardless of whether or not you earned income in the US.

All forms must be mailed to:

Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301

Remember to keep a copy of everything you submit to IRS.

If you require assistance in filing any of the above forms please contact one of the following organizations for FREE legal advise:

Tax Payers Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.  The phone line is open Monday through Friday from 4am to 7pm. 

Catholic Charities - Eastside Neighborhood Center
2150 Alum Rock Ave. -- 95116
Thursdays (Mar. 10 - Apr. 14), 5pm - 8pm

H&R Block Offices- offer free tax advice but there is a charge for the tax preparation. Here are offices close to SCU:

975 The Alameda, STE 50
San Jose, CA 95126
(408) 998-1085

2744 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 985-1044

368 E Taylor Street
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 291-0177

Liberty Tax Service- offers free advice before tax season  and sometimes does free preparation and discounts (situational)

63 Washington Street
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408) 554-1040

IRS online workshop for foreign students:

In addition, students are welcome to call the IRS Philadelphia Service Center to assist you over the phone or email IRS with your questions. That phone number is 215-516-2000.