This list of readings explores contemporary college realities and developmental issues for students and their families. These resources sometimes present information that is not congruent with Catholic faith and beliefs. We share this broad range of issues recognizing students and their families will need to make significant personal choices.
Parent’s Guides to the College Transition
- Barkin, Carol. When Your Kid Goes to College: A Parent’s Survival Guide. 1999.
- Bernard McGarry, Kaye. A New Beginning: A Survival Guide for Parents of College Freshmen. 2001.
- Coburn, Karen, and Madge L. Treeger. Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding the College Years (3rd Edition). 1997.
- Cureton, Jeanette S. and Arthur Levine. When Hope and Fear Collide: A Portrait of Today’s College Student. 1998.
- Johnson, Helen E. and Christine Schelhas-Miller. Don’t Tell Me What To Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years. 2000.
- Johnston, Julia, and Mary Kay Shanley. For Parents Only: From Homeroom to Dorm Room. 2000.
- Lauer, Robert H. and Jeanette C. Lauer. How to Survive and Thrive in an Empty Nest: Reclaiming Your Life When Your Children Have Grown. 1999.
- Van Steenhouse, Andrea. Empty Nest, Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College. 1998.
Alcohol & Drug Use
- Burroughs, Augusten. Dry: A Memoir. 2003.
- Stephens, Michael Gregory. Where the Sky Ends: A Memoir of Alcohol and Family. 1999.
- Volkmann, Chris & Toren. Our Drink: Detoxing The Perfect Family. 2004.
- Zailckas, Koren. Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood. 2005.
- Claude-Pierre, Peggy. The Secret Language of Eating Disorder: How You Can Understand and Work to Cure Anorexia and Bulimia. 1997.
- Costin, Carolyn. The Eating Disorder Sourcebook: A Comprehensive Guide to the Causes, Treatments, and Prevention of Eating Disorders. 1999.
- Natenshon, Abigail H. When Your Child Has an Eating Disorder: A Step-By-Step Workbook for Parents and Other Caregivers. 1999.
- Siegel, Michelle. Surviving an Eating Disorder: Strategies for Family and Friends. 1997. Teachman, Bethany A. Helping Your Child Overcome an Eating Disorder: What You Can Do at Home. 1997.
- Domitrz, Michael. Voices of Courage: Inspiration from Survivors of Sexual Assault. 2005.
- Lauer, Teresa M. The Truth About Rape. 2002.
- Matsakis, Aphrodite. The Rape Recovery Handbook: Step-By-Step Help for Survivors of Sexual Assault. 2003.
- Warshaw, Robin. I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape. 1994.