Congratulations on your acceptance to Santa Clara University's Reading West Africa Program
in Burkina Faso. We are excited to welcome you to this unique study / immersion program. In preparation for your arrival, please take time to review all information on this page especially the Pre-Departure Handbook
and complete all required documents on time. In the coming weeks, you will be receiving emails from Professor Michael Kevane (Program Director) and / or the International Programs Office at Santa Clara University for additional instructions. We look forward to welcoming you to Burkina Faso.
Now that you have received your acceptance e-mail from Santa Clara University, we need you to download and complete the following required forms and send them to Santa Clara University by the deadlines.
- Confirmation / Deposit Form (PDF format)
Non-SCU Students: To confirm and secure your spot on the roster, we need you to complete this form and send to Santa Clara University with a deposit of $500 by May 5, 2011. Make your check payable to Santa Clara University and this amount will be credited to your tuition & fees on your eCampus account. Send the $500 deposit and Confirmation Form to: Lori Johnson, International Programs Office, Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053. Check with your home university's study abroad office if the $500 deposit is covered in their contract with Santa Clara.
SCU Students: To confirm your spot on the roster, simply submit the Confirmation Form to Lori Johnson without the $500 deposit. You will be charged $500 if you withdraw from the program less than 60 days prior to the start date.
- Safety Covenant Form (PDF format)
Download this form, read it very carefully, sign it and return to Santa Clara University with your Medical Forms.
- Medical Forms (PDF format)
Download this 2-page Medical Form to be completed by you and your physician. Please complete these forms before departing for Burkina Faso and sent to the International Programs Office at Santa Clara University no later than JUNE 15th.
- Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation: (Required for SCU Students Only) Check the International Programs Office website for date/time. Non-SCU students are welcomed to attend the orientation.
- Group Orientation: (Required for SCU Students Only). SCU students are required to attend all pre-departure group meetings as announced on the International Programs Office website.
- Pre-Departure Handbook 2010: Please take time to download and review the pre-departure handbook.
- Health & Safety Overseas: It is very important that you review the U.S. State Department's website for all required and recommended information for Americans traveling to Africa. (www.travel.state.gov). See information below on the supplemental health insurance coverage through ACE.
- ACE Travel Insurance: All accepted students in the SCU Burkina Faso program are automatically covered under Santa Clara's supplemental travel insurance policy through ACE with no additional fee. Please review the ACE International Travel ID card below which describes the coverage. The section below the dotted line may be placed in a wallet or kept on your person at all times. Please discard any documents referring to the CISI program.>>Download ACE International Travel Card (PDF)
- eCampus Account: All students including participants in the SCU Burkina Faso program are billed online via their ECampus account. Soon you will receive an email from the eCampus administrator at Santa Clara University which will contains your security access information including your SCU ID and password to your eCampus account. Please save that email for future access to your ECampus account. If you still have not received an eCampus email instruction, you can contact Carol Bonney (email@example.com) at the Registrar's Office at Santa Clara for your ecampus account number before you follow the instructions to reset your ecampus account.
- Billing / Payment Methods: Please be aware that Santa Clara University does NOT issue paper invoices to students. All students including non-SCU students are billed via eCampus except for students from institutions that have set up a consortium / direct billing contracts with Santa Clara University. Check with the study abroad office at your home institution if they have a direct billing contract with Santa Clara. Students from schools with direct billing contract with Santa Clara University will be billed via their study abroad office or the appropriate office on their home university. Please be aware that your home university may charge you a different amount based on their stated policy/cost schedule. Regardless of billing method all students will be billed on the following dates: Fall: August 1st; and all payments due on the 21st of August before a $75 late payment fee is automatically assessed every month thereafter. Students will have the capability of downloading a hard copy of their statement or forwarding it electronically to any third party of choice for remittance. All others will be fully responsible for all payments via eCampus. For more information, please visit the Bursar’s website: www.scu.edu/bursar
- Travel Arrangements: Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements using the following dates:
- Arrival: August 29, 2011 (Departure US on August 28th)
- Departure: December 8, 2011.
- Pre-Departure Handbook: We look forward to working with you in the following months to prepare you for your time in Burkina Faso. We will soon post a pre-departure handbook which covers information about Burkina Faso, health and safety considerations, community guidelines, suggested reading preparation list, etc. Please plan to spend some time preparing for your semester with us by going through these materials. >>Download Fall 2010 - Pre-Departure Handbook (updated 7/2/2010)
- Refund Policy: Students will receive a full refund of their deposit, tuition, room & board, and other fees if they provide written notification to Santa Clara University sixty (60) days prior to the start of the SCU Burkina Faso program. Students withdrawing forty days before the published start date will be charged the $500 deposit. Since virtually all funds are committed once the program begins, no tuition, housing, or other fees are returned if the withdrawal occurs on or after the program start date. No refunds will be given once the program has started. To officially withdraw, please email to Dr. Michael Kevane (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to the Study Abroad Office at Santa Clara (email@example.com).
For more information:
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Professor Michael Kevane (firstname.lastname@example.org
). Again, congratulations and welcome to the SCU Burkina Faso Program!