Fall 2011 Schedule
- Arrival: August 29, 2011 (Depart U.S. on August 28th)
- Departure: December 8, 2011
Typical Fall Schedule
All dates are subject to change.
- 28th - Depart US
- 29th - Students arrive in Ouagadougou and begin orientation for the first week.
- Week One: Orientation
- Week Two: Students have 25 hours of instruction in each of the two French-based courses (i.e. 5 hours per week for each course)
- Week Three: Students also have 20 hours of intensive training in digital photography techniques during this period, beginning around Sept. 22.Students take a workshop to learn how to use Adobe Indesign.
- Week Four: Finally, the development economics course meets for 20 hours of contact time
- 10th: Students relocate to a village setting for six weeks. During the time in the village, students continue to work on their development studies materials and begin work on their community engagement coursework, through experiential learning, by volunteering in community libraries for ten hours each week.
- 20th: Students return to Ouagadougou for production sessions that will result in printing of the books. Short course sessions will be held, and student will have time to write final papers for their classes and sit for final exams.
- Thanksgiving Break: Faculty & students take a 6-day excursion to Dogon country
- 8th: The program will officially end on December 8th, leaving students with time for further travel (perhaps in Europe) before returning home.