Living in London
Spending time in London as a student is a truly unforgettable experience. The city's modern cosmopolitan identity combines a fascinating past with a present that sees more than 7 million people living, studying, working and playing in its different areas.
The arts, theatre, nightlife, music and literature are just some of the things in which London excels, and just some of those that students can expect to experience during their time on the Santa Clara London semester.
Santa Clara understands that most of a student's London stay is experienced outside of the classroom and that the educational benefits of a well-structured social/cultural program can be as important as the in-class experience.
Our approach is based on the belief that the historical, cultural, social and political resources of London (and the rest of the United Kingdom and even Europe) should be utilized to the full in enhancing the quality of our learning provision.
Some of the ways that SCU incorporates "London Life" into your experience is through:
- field trips
- field assignments
- guest lectures by London-based specialists
- appearances by representatives of London's cultural and educational organizations
Some co-curricular activities might include:
- visits to Lloyds of London and the Metal Exchange
- guest lectures by London's financial analysts
- weekend visits to the European Parliament in Brussels
- meetings with MPs at the House of Commons
- weekend visits to Paris for the study of Medieval Art and Architecture
- theatre visits
- stage combat workshops by Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts instructors
- backstage tours of the National Theatre
The Student Life team
In partnership with the on-site staff based at the Foundation House Study Centre, we offer a wide range of help and support to students in the following ways:
- Coordinating a comprehensive orientation for all students on arrival
- Organizing and leading a varied and fun extra-curricular program
- Offering ongoing help, information and advice on a wide range of issues in a very well-resourced 'drop-in' Student Life Office
- Giving hands-on support in the living environment as Residence Life Supervisors
Imperial College Advantages
All students are also given temporary membership of the Imperial College Student Union. This provides them with the opportunity to take advantage of numerous clubs and societies, and to participate in an array of activities on offer at one of Britain's largest and most established universities. In addition, membership gives access to Imperial's various student bars, cafés, restaurants and many social events.