Santa Clara University

Study Abroad

Pass - No Pass

A Pass/No Pass grade is contingent on two factors:The program provider issues a P/NP grade, and the course meets SCU requirements on P/NP.Students who qualify under these terms must request authorization from SCU Study Abroad by the end of the fourth week of classes of their study abroad program.

For Study Abroad Courses that May Be Considered for a Pass/No Pass (P/NP)

Step 1:Students should consult their specific program to determine if limitations on taking a course P/NP apply.They may not take a course on a Pass/No Pass basis unless offered as such by their specific program. The following programs do not offer Pass/No Pass as an option: FIE, SIT, OTS, BU, Spring Hill College, CIEE South Africa – Cape Town and CIEE China - Shanghai.  IES programs do not allow students to take language courses or university courses (courses where students are studying at a local university) Pass/No Pass. Note:

1)Students may not take courses for major, minor or Core requirements for P/NP.Students may elect to take only one course per academic term for a P/NP.

2)Once a P/NP request is approved, it is not possible to reverse this status.

Step 2:Email SCU Study Abroad staff (

  • Subject Line: Request for P/NP: Program, Term, Year, First Name, Last Name
  • Text:1) Course number and title

               2) Name of the professor

               3) Term and year of the course

               4) Start date of study abroad courses

               5) Name and email of the person at your program responsible for credit and grading

Printer-friendly format