- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
The Center for Sustainability is the focal point for Santa Clara University’s Justice and Sustainability Strategic Priority and contributes to creating a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
The Center for Sustainability advances academic and public understanding of the ways in which social justice and sustainability intersect by integrating principles of social, environmental, and economic sustainability into campus operations, academic and student life, and outreach programs.
Pillars:The Center for Sustainability aims to help the University:
1. Achieve Climate Neutrality by 2020.
- Reduce the university’s use of electricity and natural gas. Reduce single-occupancy vehicles on campus.
- Example metrics: annual greenhouse gas emissions inventory, local offset initiatives
2. Practice responsible consumerism.
- Improve the University's impacts on the local and global community associated with procurement (extraction, production, distribution, consumption, and disposal).
- Example metrics: local/ organic/ sustainable food procurement rates, sustainable purchasing policies, and waste diversion rates.
3. Develop a culture of sustainability among all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors.
- Expand the campus community's ability and desire to partake in sustainable behaviors as well as their understanding of how they can contribute to developing a sustainable world.
- Example metrics: number of individuals involved in sustainability-related co-curricular and employee programs, assessments of the campus community's perceived value and intrinsic motivations for sustainable behaviors.
4. Use the campus as a living laboratory for developing global solutions.
- Support solutions-based coursework and research to solve local and global problems using the campus as a demonstration test-bed.
- Example metrics: number of sustainability-related and focused courses, number of students and faculty engaged in sustainability-related research, number of students engaged with community members at BUG sites.