Workplace Sustainability Liaisons
The Workplace Sustainability Liaison program empowers Santa Clara University employees to implement the University's Strategic Plan by fostering Justice and Sustainability programs among University departments and organizations. Liaisons engage their peers in sustainable behaviors in order to develop a culture of sustainability among faculty and staff at SCU.
Workplace Sustainability Liaisons responsibilities
- Attend one 1-hr meeting each month (lunchtime).
These meetings are focused on a different topic each month. Liaisons bring questions and ideas for an engaging discussion. Liaisons take away action items meant to be accomplished in one hour or less.
- Spend 1-hr of paid work time each month on sustainability.
This time is spent completing action items from the Liaison meeting, developing programs in the workplace, and presenting information to colleagues.
- Provide feedback to the Office of Sustainability.
Liaisons are a channel for two-way communication between campus employees and the Office of Sustainability. Liaisons bring questions, concerns, and ideas to the Office of Sustainability as well as share new information and upcoming events with their peers.
Employees who want to become an advocate must have supervisor support to spend paid work time on Liaison duties.
Duration: we ask Liaisons to commit to an academic year term. So, the first group of Liaisons will participate through June 2013. The next group's term will be academic year 2013-14. Liaisons may continue as long as they wish, but there is no requirement to participate longer than one year.
Benefits of being a Workplace Sustainability Liaison
- Receive Sustainability SWAG (t-shirt or coffee mug) indicating your role as a Workplace Sustainability Liaison
- Receive a Sustainability Hotspot badge
- Extra support and resources from the Office of Sustainability
- Opportunities to learn more about sustainability issues, community-based social marketing, behavior change theory, and more
- Workplace Liaisons will be eligible for the SCU Sustainability Champion award
- Opportunities to connect and collaborate with students, faculty, and staff members working on sustainability initiatives at SCU
- The first 20 Workplace Sustainability Liaisons will receive a compost collection pail to use in their office!
Apply Online (June 2013)
Faculty, staff, and student employees interested in becoming Workplace Sustainability Liaisons for the 2013-14 are welcome to apply online beginning in June. You are encouraged to speak with your supervisor about your interest in the program before applying. If you are selected to participate, the Office of Sustainability will follow up with your supervisor.