Bon Appetit, SCU's Dining Services provider, places a priority on buying food from within a 150 mile radius to help support local farming and reduce transportation emissions.
- Trans-fats are not used in any Dining Services by Bon Appetit kitchens.
- Menus offer locally grown produce, cage-free eggs, hormone-free milk, and antibiotic-free chicken as well as support the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.
- Sustainable social justice: Fair Trade coffee and teas, as well as chocolate are available at Bon Appetit venues across campus.
- All ground beef is free-range, local beef from Marin Sun Farms, and the flour used for pizza dough also comes from a local farm.
Vegetarian & Vegan Dining
Vegetarian meals are available every day. Diners can create vegan meals any time via the build-your-own program in "Farmers' Pantry" which provides a variety of seasonal and local prepared vegetables and grains for use in salads, pasta or sautéed dishes.
- All venues use unbleached napkins made from recycled materials.
- Customers who use their own reusable mug receive a $.10 discount at Mission Bakery, Sunstream, and Cadence Cafes.
- Dining Services by Bon Appetit offers an Eco-Tray that can be purchased with a refundable $10 deposit. Students receive a key chain that they exchange for a clean and sanitized tray. They can drop off the dirty tray at any Bon Appetit venue and pick up the key chain to start the exchange over again.
- Most catering and take-out containers are made from biodegradable materials.
Dining Services by Bon Appetit does not provide trays in student dining facilities. Some dining trays are provided at the faculty and staff dining room, and trays can be requested at the Marketplace (main student dining facility) if needed.
- Pre-Consumer Food Waste
Employees in the Marketplace kitchen sort all pre-consumer food waste for composting.
- Post-Consumer Food Waste
Compost bins are provided by all recycling and landfill waste containers in Santa Clara's main dining hall.
Read about sustainability initiatives related to food in recent Sustainability Updates.