Evaluating your Applications
When we review your application we use the following criteria:
- Overall quality of high school courses and appropriately challenging coursework.
- Academic performance in high school, including the cumulative grade point average from the first year of high school through the senior year of high school (grades from the first term of the senior).
- Results of standardized tests (SAT I or ACT).
- The SAT 4-digit code for Santa Clara University is 4851.
- The ACT 4-digit code for Santa Clara University is 0468.
- Letter of recommendation.
- Involvement in school and community activities.
Interviews: SCU does not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. We encourage prospective students to visit our campus, talk to current students, and recent alumni to get a complete picture of SCU.
The basic subject requirements for admission as an entering freshman include:
- History and Social Science: 3 years
- English: 4 years
- Mathematics: 3 years required; 4 years recommended
- Laboratory Science: 2 years required; 3 years recommended
- Language Other Than English: 2 years required; 3 years recommended; 4 years preferred
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year recommended
How to Prepare
Before starting the application process, please be aware of the many documents that you are required to submit. Your application review cannot be complete until we have all of the required documents.
- Begin preparing your application materials well in advance of the deadline. Be sure to give your counselors and teachers ample time to write their letters of recommendation and send transcripts.
- We prefer that you submit all documentation online through the Common Application, including transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
- Be sure to make copies of all the documents you submit for your records, in case something is mishandled or misplaced.
- Submit all required documents by the stated deadlines.
- If the Admission Office notifies you that something is missing from your application, be certain to respond promptly and submit the missing documents. We are unable to review your application until all documents are in hand.
Mailing Application Documents:
If you are mailing your Freshman application or supporting documents, mail to:
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053
- Common Application and SCU Supplement.
To access the SCU Supplement, create your Common Application account, on the left hand navigation click on "my colleges," select SCU, then select SCU supplement
- Official high school transcript
- Official SAT or ACT test scores from testing agency
- One Academic Teacher Evaluation
- Secondary School Report
- Mid Year Report due by the end of January (Only Regular Decision applicants or candidates deferred from Early Action)
- $55 application fee or valid fee waiver. We will accept one of the following fee waiver requests:
- NACAC fee waiver
- College Board fee waiver
- School waiver: A brief written and signed request from your high school counselor describing your temporary or long term hardship that is making it difficult for you to pay the $55.00 application fee. Please mail your school waiver to the Undergraduate Admission Office or fax it to (408) 554-5255.
Timeline for Preparation
Be aware of the following deadlines:
November 1 - Early Decision admission application (binding)
November 15 - Early Decision CSS Financial Aid/PROFILE
February 1 - Early Decision Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
November 1 - Early Action admission application (nonbinding)
November 15 - Early Action CSS Financial Aid/PROFILE
February 1 - Early Action Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
January 7 - Regular Decision admission application
February 1 - Regular Decision FAFSA and CSS Financial Aid/PROFILE
See All Key Deadlines
How to Pay for College
Financing a college education will take sacrifice and support. Santa Clara has a financial assistance program designed to provide you and your family with options.