CommonSpot Content Management System
CommonSpot refers to page components as "elements". There are a number of pre-defined elements delivered with CommonSpot; images, menus, lists, and forms can all be dropped into a page by selecting the element from a menu. In addition, several SCU-specific elements have been created and categorized within CommonSpot. This makes the task of adding rich content much easier; instead of constructing a custom query to obtain event calendar data and build an HTML template to handle the display of data, all you need to do is select "upcoming events" from the element menu, and you'll have dynamic content added to your page.
Elements are categorized by function and by placement within a Commonspot page:
Content Well Elements
- Blog - Add a blog to your Commonspot site
- Blog Feature - A companion to the Blog element, used to highlight recently posted or featured blog items.
- Bulletin Import - Display page content from the current undergraduate and graduate bulletins.
- Class Schedule - Display class schedule data for a specific subject and term.
- Courses - Display ecampus course descriptions.
- Comments - Include a Comment form on any Commonspot page.
- Contact E-mail Form - Presents a form to collect and send an e-mail message to a specified recipient.
- Countdown Timer - Display a 'clock radio' styled timer to countdown to a set day and time.
- Event Calendar Display and RSVP Forms - Event listings and RSVP forms created in the Event Manager system can be displayed in a Commonspot page.
- Flash Slideshow - This element will display a list of images as a slideshow using Flash.
- Flickr Gallery - Displays a grid of image thumbnails, and a Lightbox viewer for individual images.
- Flickr Slideshow - Display a slideshow of images and video selected by set or tag from a Flickr account.
- Google Calendar and Drive - Use Commonspot's simple text block to include a Google Calendar in a page, or Spreadsheet, Form or Chart in Google Drive.
- Lightbox Display - Apply a Lightbox view to linked content.
- Media Player - Include an embedded video and audio file player in a Commonspot page.
- Phonebook Organization Listing - Display a staff and faculty listing for an organization selected from the SCU Phonebook.
- Photo Album - Display images from the Image Gallery as a slideshow or table of thumbnail images.
- Poll - Add a simple, multiple-choice Poll to a Commonspot page.
- Press Release - Include the content of a Press Release published by the SCU Office of Communications and Marketing.
- Profile - Create or select personal profile data. Full profile and summary display options can be applied to the profile data.
- Random Quotes - Select from a set of quotations, randomly displayed with each page view.
- Randomly Selected or Rotating Images - This element will display an image selected randomly from a specified set, or display each image in the set in a sequential rotation.
- Related Links - This element is used to present a table of links to content external to the site, but related to page content.
- Rich Text Editor - This element would be used in nearly all pages; the element includes a "Word-like" editor, that can convert text to HTML. The Rich Text Editor can also be used to manage links within text, build lists, tables, or add images.
- RSS Feed Display - Use this element to display the contents of an SCU or external RSS feed in the content well or right column.
- Schedule/Personalize - This element is a container for other elements, which can be set to display based on specific criteria.
- SCU Login Required - Include this element in a page, template or subsite to limit access to users with a valid SCU ID.
- Site Search Form - Displays a search form that submits a keyword query to the Google University Search index, limiting results to a specified SCU site.
- Social Media - Several widgets are available to support connections to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Subsite List - Dynamically generates a table or list of pages and directories within a selected subsite.
- Video - This element can be used to embed a video in a Commonspot page.
Right Column Elements
These images can be included in the right column of a page or site template.
- Apply Online - Link to online admission applications for undergraduate and graduate schools.
- Arts - Menu includes links to the Center of Performing Arts, de Saisset Museum, and Art & Art History Department Web sites.
- Bronco Scores - View schedules and results for SCU athletics teams.
- Campaign for Santa Clara - Link to the Campaign Web site.
- Campus Tour Reservation- Sign up for a Campus Tour
- Directions and Map - Get driving directions to SCU using Google Maps.
- Event Calendar Search - Search the Campus Event Calendar by keyword or date
- Feature - For featured content in the right column, secondary to page content or highlighting site content.
- Headlines - This element includes recent press release headlines, and is automatically updated.
- Headlines Search - Search the Press Release archives by keyword
- Jesuit Advantage - Link to the Jesuit Advantage page.
- HR Job Posting - Displays the 3 most recent staff opportunities posted by HR. Optionally, you can select a specific campus organization's job listings for display.
- inCircle - Links to inCircle, alumni networking site
- iTunes U - This links to SCU's iTunes U store, and can be configured to point to a category or tab, by supplying a "url" custom parameter.
- Music at Noon - List of upcoming Music at Noon events.
- Online Community - Link to the AlumniConnections online community Web site.
- Phonebook Organization Contact - Display contact information for an organization selected from the SCU phone book.
- Press Release Feature - Include the headline, image, first paragraph and link for an SCU Press Release.
- Profile Feature - Select and display personal profile data.
- Prospective Student Inquiry - Link to online inquiry forms for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Residential Learning Communities - Link to the RLC Web site.
- RSS- Displaying an RSS feed - Enter the channel ID or URL path to an external RSS feed
- Santa Clara Magazine - Link to SCM online.
- SCUConnect Sign In - Links to the main login page for SCUConnect, the inquiry form and customized home page for prospective students.
- Site Search - Displays a search form that submits a keyword query to the Google University Search index, limiting results to a specified SCU site.
- Campus Slideshow - View a gallery of campus images.
- Visitor Information - Displays a list of links relevant to campus visitors, including campus map, directions, and parking.
- Upcoming Events - The events listed in this element are pulled from the Campus Event Calendar database, and are updated each hour. The list can be customized to include events for a specific campus organization.
- Webcams - Link to campus Webcams
These elements appear as links just above the right column:
- Commonspot Log in/out - Display a link that allows users to view the Commonspot log in form, or log out of Commonspot.
- Search this site - Link to a subsite-specific search form
- QR Code Generator - Create and save a QR code image for any scu.edu URL
View examples of Page Tool elements...